Monday, April 10, 2017

In the Kitchen

There have been two meals that I have just been loving in the last week or two, so I'm going to share. It's true that one of them is more of a cold weather soup, but I was just using up the last of my ham from Christmas, and I'm loving it, even if it is a little warmer now. Those of you who love precise measurements, go ahead and look away. My cooking is a lot of, "meh, that looks good" and not a lot of measuring spoons and cups. I'll try to give an estimate of amounts, but they are only estimates! Sorry, no photos. I eat food, I don't photograph it.

Sort of Stroganoff

Potatoes (maybe a pound or so?), peeled and diced (I use yukon gold potatoes, so I don't always peel them)
Enough bone broth to cover the potatoes (or regular broth, if you're not into bone broth; either chicken or beef bone broth works great)
Salt and pepper to taste.
~1T. fresh rosemary
~1t. fresh thyme
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
Medium yellow onion, sliced
White wine vinegar (or better yet, white wine!)
1 can (15 oz) full fat coconut milk
1 lb. ground beef (or bison)

1) Dice the potatoes into large pan and cover with broth. Add salt and pepper to taste. When almost tender, add rosemary and thyme. When potatoes reach desired tenderness, remove from heat.

2) Brown ground meat until done and set aside.

3) In the same skillet (may need to add some ghee or other fat depending on how lean your meat was), sauté onions for 1-2 minutes, then add mushrooms.

4) When vegetables are done, combine meat, potatoes, and vegetables. Add coconut milk and 1-2 T of white wine vinegar OR 1/4-1/2 c. white wine. Return to heat until heated through. Warning; it will be kind of soupy, so you will probably want to use soup bowls to serve. Also be careful not to go too crazy when adding the liquids!


Ham and Potato Soup

1-2 T. ghee
1 lb. cooked ham, diced
1 medium to large onion, diced
~1 lb potatoes, peeled and diced
4-5 carrots
Bone broth (usually chicken), maybe 4-6 cups?
1 can (15 oz) full fat coconut milk
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large pan, brown the ham in ghee. Remove the ham from the pan and set aside. Add onions to the same pan with more ghee if needed. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, then add carrots. Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes. Add the ham back in, along with the potatoes and broth. Add salt and pepper to your taste. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer until vegetables are at desired tenderness.  Remove from heat and stir in coconut milk.


Both of these recipes are probably in the 4-6 serving range. I love to make a batch and then have the leftovers for a few days. These recipes were good before, but went to a whole new level when I started making my own bone broth. SO. GOOD. When I served the potato soup to a friend, she wanted thirds mostly for the broth!  Have you ever tried your own bone broth? So good for you as well as being amazingly tasty. You want that recipe, too? (Though there are a million recipes for that on the internet.) But here's what I do.

Chicken Bone Broth

1 organic chicken, with giblets
2 T. apple cider vinegar
Whatever vegetables/vegetable scraps you want to use and that fit in the slow cooker with the chicken (I typically use 1-2 carrots- peels on!- 1-2 celery stalks- with leaves if they have them-, 1 small onion, and one head of garlic- both cut into halves or fourths, but with skins and all still on)
Whatever herbs I want to use- usually rosemary, sage, and thyme. Preferably the whole sprigs if I have them fresh.

Put it all in the slow cooker and cover with water. Once the chicken is about falling apart, (~6-8 hours) take it out with slotted spoons, careful to reserve all the liquid in the slow cooker. Let the chicken cool a bit, and then remove the meat from the bones. Skin and giblets can also be removed if you want to use them in your cooking (so good for you, but I admit that I can't always bring myself to use them), or they can be thrown back in the slow cooker. Once you have removed the meat, the bones, cartilage and all the rest go back into the slow cooker. The meat can now be used for any favorite chicken recipe, and the rest of the broth stays in for a total of 24-36 hours on low. Refill with water as needed. Once it's done, it looks terrible with all those bones and vegetables in it, but strain all that out, and soon you will be left with some of the most beautiful rich broth you've ever seen or tasted!

There you go. Possibly the only 3 recipes that I will ever post. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks! I will try them both especially the ham and potato soup with leftover Easter ham :) I already have a tried and true bone broth recipe I have been using for a couple years now. I love that bone broth is so easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your soups both sound excellent! I just made a pot of chicken broth over the weekend. It's amazing how much better it tastes than store bought and it's so easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you eat food and don't photograph it! I love bone broth, but have never done it in the crock pot, but now I want to!

    ReplyDelete