Sunday, January 29, 2017

Obstacle/Opportunity

I just started reading a book called, "The Obstacle Is the Way." I was intrigued by the title when I first saw it, and finally made it through the library waiting list to my turn to read it. So far, I am really enjoying it. It's based on a quote from Marcus Aurelius and explores some of the Stoic thinking in dealing with the obstacles of life. I'm not really familiar with the Stoics, but I'm intrigued by what is in the book. Still, it's not a book about Stoicism. It's a book that looks at systematic ways of viewing and addressing obstacles that makes them opportunities.

Think of a boulder in a path. There's no way around, so if you have to get to the other side, the obstacle is the only way that you're going to get there. However, if you have to climb over a boulder, you may have to learn new ways to move to get over it, you may have to build strength to be able to get over it. You may have to think differently about ways to help yourself over it. All of those things make you stronger and more ready to deal with more things in life.  I just love the whole idea of all of this! A quote from the book, "Obstacles are not only to be expected, but embraced."

From a Christian perspective, we may see it as a cross, but again, each cross has something in it to lead us to where we are going. The strength that we develop in carrying it, in embracing it and living it can be the very things that we need at some point in life.


2 comments:

  1. What a great perspective! I think we most often get more out of the path with the obstacle than we do out of the one that is clear. Yes, we may get where we want to be more quickly, but did we learn anything? Looks like this is a book I need to pick up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I naturally do not like obstacles at all but, I have lived through enough that I know I can learn from them. I am sure there are more obstacles to come in my life and I am so thankful I have God to help me through and give me wisdom from them. This book sounds very interesting! I will put this on my library check out list :)

    ReplyDelete