Sunday, August 7, 2016

My Two Cents

So, there's an election coming up in a few months. You may have heard something about it, just a few thoughts and opinions. Do vote for this person, don't vote for that person, or my favorite and the one that's most personal to me: don't waste your vote!

Here's my opinion to add to the mix. To me, a wasted vote is a vote that you didn't show up for. It's a vote for Donald Duck or Pedro (though believe me, I've been tempted!) Showing up to vote for a real person, and especially one that's actually on the ballot is NOT a wasted vote! Personally? I can't get behind the platforms of either of the two major parties right now, and let's not even get started on their candidates. I haven't been able to for a while, and this election is bringing that to the forefront even more. I am well aware of some of the reasons that I should think about doing that anyway, but to be honest, I'm not sure that I can. This isn't about personal distaste or dislike, it's about candidates that are fundamentally opposed in various ways to truths that I hold dear.

I have been hearing lately that we HAVE to vote for one particular candidate because the other candidate is so bad. That reasoning is okay by me. Given the situation, I think it's something that we absolutely have to consider. (I'm not leaving out names to be coy, I've heard the arguments in both directions.) What I am not okay with is the fear mongering that is starting to happen along with those arguments. You know the ones, where the opposite candidate is terrible and will destroy the nation. If you haven't noticed, I think either one has a decent potential of doing that. The other thing that will turn me off faster than anything from whatever point you want to make is when you try to justify your particular candidate's misdeeds. NOT okay. Both candidates have done some absolutely inexcusable things. One particular candidate is not merely some "opinionated person that says it like it is." No, no, no. He may say it how he sees it, but that's what scares me. If you tell me, "Yes, this candidate has done this, that and the other that is wrong, and it is a detestable choice, but here's why I may have to consider for voting for them anyway," I will listen to you.  The minute you try to say that some of the things that they have done is okay and even possibly a good thing in some ways, I will stop listening immediately.

What I want to say to all voters is simply that first and foremost, get out there and vote. This is too important not to. Second, do not be afraid! Do not cast a vote based on fear, but based in what you believe to be the right way to vote. Study the issues and ALL the candidates and speak out with your vote. I do think 3rd party votes matter, because if we absolutely have issues with 2 parties, we need to let them know that we are looking for change. However, I also understand that the 3rd party is not likely to win, and that's an important situation to consider as well. (Though this article is FANTASTIC and definitely some important things to think about, especially the last couple of paragraphs.) Those of faith also need to add in some serious prayer. And please be charitable towards others who feel that they absolutely have to vote differently than you are! There is a lot to consider this election and I don't think there's a "good" or obvious option here, so people can only go based on what they feel is best.

3 comments:

  1. I am so right there with you in all of this! Ugh. Actually, one of my roommates from before I was married lives in CO now (I think Fort Collins) and you and her share similar views and has been filling my Facebook feed with some very interesting articles. I really liked this article. Maybe you have seen it?

    http://shamelesspopery.com/worth-more-than-your-vote/

    My DH and I live in the probably the bluest of the blue states (they voted for Mondale after all...that is saying something), so I am totally at peace with following my conscience (which is I can't vote for either of the 2 parties) and going third party or write-in this year. All is know I am praying for the election because at this point all options are very concerning.

    Oh, and I just remembered this article that I read yesterday that I thought addressed the big elephant in the room (well, at least one of them)...the SUPREME COURT (the way some people talk you would think the entire world hinges on their makeup). Thank goodness Jesus Christ is still in control! :)

    http://www.nationalreview.com/article/438669/donald-trump-supreme-court-trump-card-argument-flawed-hillary-clinton-may-not-be

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I totally agree that the 2 parties have given us nothing.

    I'm voting for Gary Johnson, the Libertarian candidate, with a clean conscience. I only agree without about 50% of his positions, but he's not insane like Trump or a committed criminal like Hillary.

    Further, I would argue that Trump has doomed himself with his megalomania. He can't possibly win. That means a vote for Trump is a vote wasted. Johnson may be the longest of longshots, but at least it's conceivable that he could win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. This. All of this!! I also think it is horrible to assume all the court justices will die in the next four years. (I mean they're old yes, but to just write them off for dead seems a little rash.)

    ReplyDelete