Friday, January 29, 2016

When You Don't Know What to Say

I've been thinking that I should write a blog post. Every once in a while, I almost do it, but then I don't. I think it's safe to say that I am well and truly out of the blog writing groove.

Today I'm hungry, so I think that's why I'm writing. I just have to whine a bit. Since when am I not hungry, right? The story is that I feel like I'm letting the inflammation get out ahead of me again a little bit. This time of year, that's not quite as bad as it could be (except for one thing, which I'll explain as soon as I'm done complaining), but I have got to get it under control before the pollen comes back. It is so hard to keep managed with pollen that I would rather have things a little better before then. And so, no sugar. Sheesh! I don't eat tons of sugar anyway, compared to a lot of people, but I do eat it, and my body does NOT process it well. Bye, bye sugar, and since I can't eat wheat or dairy or most nuts, that leaves vegetables and meats. But not ham, bacon, or deli meats, as they all have added sugar. Yeah. I am working to find the ways to add fats and proteins to my meals. I cut back on the sugar before now to try to make the transition a little easier (and it has been, but it's still surprising). For two weeks, I'm even cutting out fruit. I normally don't, but I'm just trying to get my body to settle down from all the sugar. Although, a lot of the vegetables that I'm eating (onions, carrots) still have a lot of sugar. But whatever, you have to eat something.

During this time, I am also cutting back my workout intensities. I don't want to get to the high intensities that cause a greater sugar burn that I'm not replacing readily. Also, burning fewer calories just sounded like a good idea. PLUS, if I'm trying to knock down inflammation, it's good to create less stress for the body. Not to mention that currently there are a lot of sick people around and high intensity exercise can decrease your immune response. And it's and good time to work on my pedal stroke. In other words, it's a good idea that I'm committed to, but I don't like it at all. Just for 2 weeks, though. I'm sure I'll survive.

One of the reasons that I have not written much- or rather, haven't published much- is that I have been dealing with some depression recently. There are a lot of reasons for this, and inflammation never helps. (In fact, one of my biggest problems with wheat is that I will have increased depression/anxiety symptoms- which sounds crazy even to me, and I'm experiencing it!) The fact that I am mentioning it now means that it is significantly less. Since I am feeling less overwhelmed, I am ready to tackle the components that I can. There are still other things that I can't control, but every little bit helps.

Okay, is this the most boring post ever, or just close to it? I will say that I am really excited about some ideas of mine for work are moving from a theoretical stage to actually happening. I don't know where it will lead, but I'm extremely excited about going after it. (So sorry that the nature of this blog keeps me from being more specific!) I'm also very excited for someone I know that her husband, who was pretty much on his deathbed from cancer a couple of months ago just got a scan back that 98% of his cancer has cleared. They don't know why, but they are going to celebrate!

The plan is to try to think about writing something that's a little less stream of consciousness, but I had to start somewhere.

6 comments:

  1. Sometimes, just writing something, even if it's a brain dump, helps. I hope it works for you.
    Glad to hear things at work are going well!
    Celebrate indeed! What marvelous news for your friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Christine: sometimes just putting it out there helps. If not, get some help! :)
    1 of my sons dealt/deals with depression. He sought out help without drugs and is doing fine now. He still has his days, but now he is able to cope with the not-so-good days. :)
    Yay for kicking cancer's butt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever been checked for the mthfr genetic mutation? My NaPro Dr. checked me for it a while back and apparently those with the mutation have higher amounts of depression. Something to look into. Good job on cutting out the sugar! It is tough but it seems like it is helping you already so that is a plus. That is wonderful news about your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about how you have been having harder days. We hope you know you are not alone. We are here to talk if you ever need it.

    On a side note, I know you visit our blog a lot but we had a lot of weird activity from South Korea so we went private. We can give you permission if you want to contact us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to contact you, but I don't have any contact info! ;)

      Delete
  5. Depression is not for the faint of heart. My own bouts with it have been very difficult. Glad you shared. Hope things get better soon.

    ReplyDelete