Thursday, December 31, 2015

Welcome, 2016

One of my goals for this weekend is to spend some time looking back on last year, and looking forward a bit to the new year. Seems an appropriate way to celebrate, right? Also I can't go to New Year's parties because the siren call of bed is too strong. Y'all, 2016 will come in just fine with me asleep where I belong! (I'll be doing good to make it ALL the way through 7:00 Mass tonight!)

I used to like the whole resolution thing. Even if I didn't keep it, I loved the idea of a fresh start. Now, I don't really do it so much. I love that there is a moment in time to stop and reflect, but I find that there is a fresh start every morning. Each day is an opportunity to grow, and since I started seeing life that way, it's super fun to look back at a year, because 365 days of growth leads places I never expected! So, I will take some time to dream tonight about what I want my life to look like, to see what's moving me in that direction and where I might need to adjust that is the plan.

There are two things that I realize tonight as I'm doing a little reflecting. One is that I am stronger than I have ever been, at least physically. The other is that I'm not strong enough. I am not strong enough to stay faithful to God, my family or myself in the midst of emotional fatigue. I am not strong enough to keep facing days and nights alone. I am not strong enough to keep fighting to live this life that I am given to the utmost that I can in this moment. I can't, and I don't want to. Luckily He is strong enough. Honestly, the thought isn't enough to bring comfort, but I don't have to feel it for it to be true.  What I do like about this, though, is the reminder that it's not about me, I'm not in control, and I don't have to be.

That's enough of the past, I am excited about the new year. I am excited to keep looking for new things to try personally and professionally with the fabulous, fun, geeky world of movement. (I'm going to be participating in a movement challenge for 4 weeks on instagram, so if you want to see me attempt some new stuff, it'll be on there!) I also want to spend more time on my bike. I am excited to reconnect with some things that are important to me, but that I haven't done enough of this year. For example, photography and climbing. Also, I need to do a better job of getting back to daily Mass.

I also want to try to find some ways to make my day to day activities fit my overall life goals. For example, I love me some screen time, but I don't want my life to be swallowed up in thoughtless electronic consumption. I may have to cut Netflix. It won't save me much money, but I get sucked into marathons, and there are so many other ways to spend my time! I also have a goal in terms of streamlining my life a little bit. I like the minimalist movement, and I saw a great goal to get rid of 2,016 things in 2016. If I would have waited to start my cleaning out until now, that would be easy. I'm guessing this will be a challenge, but that's what makes it fun! Minimizing things like Netflix (if I do that) and some of my stuff is not about those things being bad in and of themselves. It's far more about taking the time to make thoughtful decisions about where to put my time and energy.

What about you? Any dreams/goals/resolutions? Is the new year a good thing for you, or another day on the merry-go-round? No matter what, I hope you have a wonderful and blessed 2016!



One of the more spectacular new days of 2015 with the morning sun lighting up a rainbow.

4 comments:

  1. I've been really lazy about not going to Daily Mass when I'm not in school. Even if I'm up in time, I'll get on the laptop & next thing you know, it's too late.
    Hope you have a very Happy New Year!
    My instagram: @tnslp

    ReplyDelete
  2. I support your decision for a low key NYE. Not so long ago, I did the same thing. I went to bed at 9:00 on NYE (crazy for a night owl like me!) thinking, " the sooner this year is over, the better! "

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of each day being a fresh start. I've never been a big one for resolutions myself. This is so real and my heart is with : "Honestly, the thought isn't enough to bring comfort, but I don't have to feel it for it to be true." Thank goodness God's truth and faithfulness are steadfast in the midst of our (my) weakness

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of each day being a fresh start. I've never been a big one for resolutions myself. This is so real and my heart is with : "Honestly, the thought isn't enough to bring comfort, but I don't have to feel it for it to be true." Thank goodness God's truth and faithfulness are steadfast in the midst of our (my) weakness

    ReplyDelete