Sunday, November 1, 2015

What's Going On Here

That's not a question, that's a statement. The obvious answer is not much. That's only true, though if you are talking about what is going on in my house this weekend.

One thing did happen in my house. I was cleaning, and I didn't want to move my rocking chair to sweep and then move it back. I decided it was in the way and put it in my back room (where all of the extra crap is). I love it this way. I haven't sat in it for months anyway, but I would set things on it and use the footstool for a desk of sorts when I was sitting on the floor. I didn't think I was ready to get rid of it until I got a table for the living room. However, it is gone now (or around the corner, anyway), and I LOVE it.  See, I have been sitting on my couch too much (because I always sit in the same position, and not only is it the same position all the time, but it's a terrible posture). I couldn't figure out why I was too lazy to sit on the floor, but let me tell you something. Now that the chair is gone and I have the extra space, I have spent the day sitting on the floor. And stretching and rolling out and trying different movements. I didn't realize that the chair was acting as a physical and mental barrier until it was gone.

Speaking of different movements, I was hiking down some icy spots this weekend on the trail. One of the ways to do this is to step sideways. I did that with my right side facing down the mountain at first. Then I decided that I'd better make sure to even myself out, so I started down the next icy patch with my left side on the downhill side. Holy moly! My upper body- almost of its own volition- kept trying to twist back the other way. I could hardly do it! I found that if it wasn't too stiff or if there was no ice, it was easy to side step to the left first. It's only when it was more challenging that I had to fight my own body. I'm not exactly sure why this is, but I have a theory. The eyes have a lot to do with a lot of our movement, and a lot of us tend to neglect the left side to some degree (I'm just barely beginning to get into some of this, so I can't tell you much more than that as to why, though I think... neural pathways??) Anyway, I have clearly not used my left side as much and I think that's why when there were all the challenges, my body wanted to use the more practiced side. That's not how I roll, though. Left side needs to do some work!

Wow. I didn't mean to get side tracked into all of that. The really exciting thing this weekend is that my brother and SIL had their twins this weekend. They had to deliver a few weeks earlier, but everyone is doing REALLY well!! I have also found out that I live 1,069 miles away from my brother. I honestly never cared before this weekend, but now I care a great deal. I am also extremely, extremely thankful that there is digital media and my brother can send whatever photos whenever. Awesome! Like the one of my little niece who apparently currently has a preference for sleeping with one leg in the air. Whatever, sweet little weirdo. In this family, that is likely just the first of many quirks! (I wonder if my SIL really knew what she was getting into...?)

This has been extra special on so many levels. It is the first niece and nephew on my side of the family, it's twins, they, like so many people, have struggled with sub fertility and miscarriages. They haven't shared a lot of their struggles with me personally, but thanks to so many of you being open about your feelings, I have some idea. I think my absolute favorite photo (okay, one of) is the one of my SIL holding both of the twins. The joy on her face is so priceless.

I will say, in the grand tradition of blogging TMI, that this has all been made even more interesting due to some timing of PMS. Thankfully, this did not pull away at all from the wonderfulness of all that is happening, but it did highlight all that is not happening in my world. Things were extra stark there for a couple days especially leading up to their birth. Thankfully now that they're here and I'm distracted by their sweet selves as well as the hormones being less stupid, I am now able to get excited about movement and such again, but there were a couple of days there...

Now, I'm going to finish this rambling post with a little observation. As I've been getting rid of crap, I had some DVD's that I got rid of without a second thought, but others that I have saved to re-watch so I could decide if I wanted them or not. Today "Sleepless in Seattle" came up. Can someone please tell me why that one's a classic? I used to like it, but in watching it today, all I could think was, "She's bat crap crazy, and he's an idiot not to get a restraining order!" It is leaving the building.

How's your weekend? Are you adjusting to the time change?

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations to your family! A photo of baby twins is about as cute as a photo comes.
    When my 13 year old was 7 or 8, he read in a magazine that in order to be a really good soccer player, a person had to be equally good with either foot. He spent hours and hours and hours, over months and months, practicing with only his left foot, to a point where now, no one can even tell if he's left- or right- footed. With the other kids, it is very obvious which foot they are most comfortable with. (Two are lefties, the rest are righties.) Your story about the icy climb doesn't surprise me at all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the niece and nephew! The Kansas City Royals won the World Series and I'm headed off to orientation for a new job, so this week is off to a pretty good start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to your family on the twins! We are planning on getting rid of one of our couches, maybe the smaller one, to promote more sitting on the floor and to have the room to do so. It will also help to keep clutter down around here. Yeah I am not that big a fan of Sleepless in Seattle but I do like You've Got Mail :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, twins! Yay!

    I love when that happens and you accidentally figure out something that has been subconsciously bothering or hindering you for so long - awesome feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not sure why some movies get famous, but it is funny to go back and watch them because of all the ways that technology has advanced and more!

    ReplyDelete