Saturday, November 28, 2015

Happy Thanksgiving!

How was your Thanksgiving? As you may have seen, I was a little bored part of the week, but I was afraid that would happen. It was worth it. That part was necessary if I came the weekend before to catch up with some friends. I hadn't seen them in far too long, and it was absolutely amazing! I miss seeing them, I miss playing with their kids and seeing them grow up. I miss the town I used to live in. That doesn't mean that I want to move back, but those friends and that place are a part of me that I am so grateful for. I would not be who I am today without them.

Once we got into the actual Thanksgiving holiday, I was much better off. People weren't all running around doing other things, so we got to spend time together and it was great. My sister and I saw to it that the entire Thanksgiving meal had no more than 1/4 cup of sugar added, and that included dessert! We didn't start off with that intention, but most of the stuff didn't need sugar and the stuff that did, didn't need much, so we worked to keep it there once we saw that was probably going to be it. I made a sweet potato pie. That's the first time I'd ever done that, and it was good. The sweet potatoes had enough sugar in them that added sugar was not particularly necessary.

Can we also talk about how my much younger sister (as in, she could have been a flower girl or a junior bridesmaid at my wedding if I had gotten married when everyone else was) told me about her boyfriend this week? I had to remind myself when I did the math that she's plenty old enough, and he sounds like a nice guy. I truly am happy for her. It's far too soon to say that it's serious (as far as we know, and she isn't saying much about that). I wouldn't change a thing. For her. It did poke a few tender spots for me at times, but surprisingly not as badly as it could have. I am grateful for that. For me, I am just tired of doing this things called life alone. I just want someone to share it with. Okay, enough of that.

I did put up Christmas decorations today. I know, not very Advent-y of me, but I can't say as I care. While I did it, I was listening to a podcast about mold (I know, how festive, right?) Anyway, for several reasons, I have already been thinking of moving. But after that and thinking of the basement flooding problems, I'm not sure that I want to stay here when my lease is up this summer. I have no idea if I can find the kind of place that I want, though, or not. We'll just have to see. I both love and hate the thought of moving. I love the idea of downsizing. I don't need all the room that I have. Maybe I could make things a bit cheaper, though moving is always kind of expensive. However, it's such a pain all the time as well. I would be able to take the opportunity to get rid of a lot of stuff, so that would be nice at least.

How was your holiday kick off?

4 comments:

  1. I used to love moving every couple of years - really helped weed through all of our possessions and cut out the junk. It's much harder to do that when you stay in one spot for a while, I've discovered (almost ten years, yikes!).
    I'm glad you had a good Thanksgiving! Wish I had had the guts to stick to low sugar desserts. I definitely did not, ugh.
    I'm starting the St Andrew Christmas novena today and I'd love to add your intention :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moving is a pain but so is mold. Hope it becomes clearer what u shOuld do as time goes on. What a lovely thanksgiving!!!! ....i can certainly understand the bittersweetness that comes with your little sisters new bf.praying for u!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moving is a pain but so is mold. Hope it becomes clearer what u shOuld do as time goes on. What a lovely thanksgiving!!!! ....i can certainly understand the bittersweetness that comes with your little sisters new bf.praying for u!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so hard when everone is hitting milestones. It is so not fun watching other people we love having the ideal life no matter how much joy we may have for them at the same time. Really hoping that your day will come, that some of the things you have been praying for will happen! ...including wisdom on if you should move or not :)

    ReplyDelete