Sunday, October 18, 2015

Meh.

I read a post the other day that included these exact words:

I have to admit that I find much of Colorado rather meh.  It’s a dessert after all, lots of dry grass and sandy brown dirt. 

C'mon, now. You can't expect me to take a statement like that without comment! Actually, I can't fault the second sentence. The high plains in the east are arid and desert-y. I happen to like it, but can understand why it's not everyone's cup of tea. Plus, even though I like it okay (and am completely biased by the fact that I love this state), I don't spend much time in the east, I head for the west. Colorado, meh? I'm outraged, I tell you! Outraged! Here is what I have to say to that:

























Never mind, I am not outraged. I feel pity. Anyone who could say those words either does not appreciate the amazingness of creation when it is before them (definitely NOT Donna's problem, I assure you!) or they have never in their lives truly experienced Colorado. Never seen the mountains being awoken by the sunrise, first dusky pink, then blending to gold before the full light of day settles in. Has never sat next to the music of one of the many waterfalls cascading down the side of the mountain or pouring out of the rock itself, never experienced the peace of a mountain lake with peaks rising high above, surrounding and guarding it. These are the words of a person who has never stumbled into a carpet of wildflowers, either in a mountain meadow or high above treeline, surviving and thriving in a climate that should not allow anything to survive, let alone these tiny, delicate flowers. Has never gotten to meet the animals where they are and be reminded that we were certainly not the first here. Hasn't seen the aspen leaves shimmer, first with the new green of the spring and last with the gold of the fall. Has never gotten to experience the peaks go through the stages of a dusting of snow, to fully covered, to summer with the flowers blooming between the leftover snowfields. They have certainly never gotten to experience the range of history, including native history, mining, and dinosaurs. They have never been on a peak where they felt like they should be able to touch the clouds, or gotten the experience of standing on a peak above the clouds. Even in the desert areas, how can you not fall in love after seeing a cactus in bloom, or a wildflower poking up in the midst of rock and sandy soil?

Note: I don't actually feel either outrage or pity, I just like to give Donna a hard time. Although it is true that the one line did get me rather fired up (hence this post), but if you actually read her entire post it is about her getting to experience some of the wonders that are here, and more yet, the God Who made them. Donna, next time you're out here, let me know! I'll show you Colorado!
-->

7 comments:

  1. I've never been to Colorado but you are selling me on it! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's only the most gorgeous place in the world, that's all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. With views like that I can see you you were outraged at my prejudiced, lame-brained, flippant and disparaging comment. Am I groveling enough??

    Until my visit to Estes Park and Lily Lake, my experience with Colorado has been limited to the airport and the I-25 corridor. I can't wait to see more of your beautiful state!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorg pics, as usual.

    Also, you make me LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You convinced me! !!!...not that I needed to be convinced though. :) pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As if my travel list wasn't long enough... WOW. Definitely adding Colorado to my list of must-sees.

    ReplyDelete