Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Powerless

I don't have a lot to say today. Frankly, I haven't watched all of the videos going around about Planned Parenthood right now. I'm not sure that I can. I realized that I feel completely sick about what is going on, but I am also sick of myself, because I'm sitting on the sidelines in horror, but I'm not doing anything. Not one thing.

I did watch a video (edited) by someone that was speaking in favor of Planned Parenthood. It was interesting in the double speak that has to happen.  She essentially said that it wasn't happening, but then she said it was done with consent (certainly not the babies' consent!) and better to do research than just throw the babies in the garbage. I don't understand the need to say that someone is lying because it's not happening, but also justify what's happening. Not a lot of logical consistency there.

Anyway, I know that's vague and random, but that's what I do. I pick apart someone else rather than speaking up myself. I guess all I have to say is that this is evil. It seems like there is a madness going on all around, and the logical consequences of our sins as nation are coming to light. You can't argue that babies are only a blob of tissue and then be surprised or object if that child is then used for profit and research. We also can't dehumanize the most vulnerable among us without becoming less human ourselves. I don't know if I'll find anything that I can actually do in all of this, but I will be going to Mass tomorrow.

9 comments:

  1. One complaint I hear from pro-choice is that we are only concerned with the time the baby is in the womb, then we don't do anything to ensure that baby is taken care of. It's a load of manure, seeing as how there are places all over the country that help these very people. However, I have listened and asked myself if I truly am pro-life, what am I doing to help? Some things I've come up with. (Some I've done in the past, some I'll be doing once school starts, some I may never get to do):
    Praying in front of PP
    Volunteering for birth line (gets layettes and other things for moms)
    Help at crisis pregnancy center
    Become a Big Sister
    Volunteer at troubled schools
    Donate to funds for people wanting to adopt
    Teach kids/teens why waiting to have sex is important/why the Church teaches what it does

    I know there are more. I'm with you. We have to do something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You started at the perfect place - Mass. It is so easy to feel stymied and overwhelmed. Prayer is the perfect start. Christine has some wonderful ideas for good and practical ways to help in the fight. The other thing is to be open to talking about what is the truth. It doesn't have to be gory or detailed, but when the subject comes up, having a few salient points that can be spoken in love and calmness. Easier said than done. All I want to do is scream "You horrible, evil idiots!!! It's a baby not a blob!" and pound them senseless. Don't think *that* will change hearts and minds. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right there with you Monica. More and more I have come back to prayer. I need to pray more. All my hand wringing and "what should I do" means nothing if it is not rooted in prayer. And I have been slacking on that. Big time. Time to dig deep. (And all of this is a reflection on the state of my own prayer life and no one else's...I hope that is clear. Just wanted to make sure you knew I wasn't saying you weren't praying enough.) Okay, I will stop talking now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This whole thing has made me sick to my stomach and i think it's the evil of it all, but also a feeling of guilt for not doing anything and being on the sidelines. I've talked to hubby and we are going to try to pray at the abortion mill near us more often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This whole thing has made me sick to my stomach and i think it's the evil of it all, but also a feeling of guilt for not doing anything and being on the sidelines. I've talked to hubby and we are going to try to pray at the abortion mill near us more often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This whole thing has made me sick to my stomach and i think it's the evil of it all, but also a feeling of guilt for not doing anything and being on the sidelines. I've talked to hubby and we are going to try to pray at the abortion mill near us more often.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know how you feel about watching in horror and not knowing what to do. I started going back to daily Mass, when I wake up on time, and praying a rosary daily. I know I can at least pray!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know, I feel the same way. And I feel so powerless TO do anything, too. I was reading an article earlier and I realized that I could certainly pray more about it...and maybe that isn't so insignificant after all.

    ReplyDelete