Sunday, August 16, 2015

Be Who God Made You to Be

I really wasn't going to go so long in between blogging, but in case you haven't noticed, I've become a terrible blogger lately! However, it is perfectly acceptable to go through phases and even move away from blogging. I don't want to move away from blogging, so I'm just calling this a phase, and there are reasons for it. They are mostly work related, but in a really fun way, so it's all good.

Really quickly, here's the run down. I've been busy at work, I've been working on some stuff that I can't NOT work on outside of work but it's for work (and for me, too). Thankfully, I've been busy at work, and because I get paid according to billable hours, that helps the bottom line. But I've also been behind on paperwork most days, so I'm doing that when I get home or in the mornings (hello and goodbye blogging time). Because I'm tired after work, I just want to zone out, which I do while cooking only processed foods and then not going to bed early enough. And here comes the inflammation. No shock there. Oh, yeah! And I also blame vacation. Okay, I think that's it for my excuses. Before I continue, let me just say thank you for your great comments on my last post! I didn't get a chance to respond much (see above excuses), but I really thought you had some great suggestions. I'm going to make more of a point to do a few small things. Because small things are way better than nothing!

Today I am taking some time to blog (because I love it and I miss it! Which really means that I miss you all, because that's what blogging is really all about) while I drink kombucha (away with you, inflammation!) after getting plenty of sleep last night. Actually, this is the first time I've tried kombucha. Started with a lemon ginger raspberry flavor, and it's quite tasty. It's amazing how all of the things that are getting me out of balance with the time are also making me get more inflamed again. My asthma's been a little worse, my weight has been up, and I've been a little more fatigued. In only a couple of days of getting more particular about what I'm eating again, I'm starting to see the weight go down. I think it's progress that I'm listening to some of the signs before my asthma is limiting me and before I start to react to lots of different foods.

Anyway, let's talk a tiny bit about work, eh? I've been thinking a lot about the quote "Be who God made you to be, and you will set the world on fire." My sister tells me that St. Theresa said that. I love that whole idea. We are all different, and when we pursue things in our lives that we are truly passionate about, it is infectious. I've been doing a lot of reading and studying lately. Some of it is specifically about job related things, and other parts are a little more outside of that. For example, I've been studying some sales related things. I hate marketing and don't really want much to do with that, but here's my issue. By looking at the way that a person is standing and moving, I can see things that are contributing to their overall mobility problems. I can see why they're falling apart, and it's NOT because of age! However, trying to get someone to see what I see is not so easy. Just because I know things that will make a big difference for me, it does no good if I can't get them to understand why they're doing it. A friend suggested that I learn some sales strategies, and I think she has a point. It's really more about teaching than sales, but there are similarities all around.

I've also been reading some things about ways to think outside the box about what you want to do with your life; create your job on your terms. Sounds a little over the top to me in a way, but I love the way that it encourages people to really look into what does and doesn't work for them so that you can be spending your day doing what you love rather than just punching the clock. Personally, I am fortunate enough to do a job that I do really love, but there are things that still suck my energy and make me wish I could chuck it all and go live in the woods. This is giving me some ideas of ways to think outside the box and expand on the things that I really love and possibly minimize some of the other parts. Because it allows me to really explore my favorite things about what I do, I actually find myself spending time outside of work trying to grow and explore new ideas. I do it because it's fun, not because I should in order to be better. Hopefully I can find some ways to make that pay off in terms of dollars and cents, but it is making me better at what I do and giving me new ways to help my patients, so it's beneficial no matter what.

4 comments:

  1. Well, this couldn't be more timely. With the changes in our family, I feel like a high school senior. I can do almost anything I want; I just need to narrow it down and figure out what that is. I've got so many things I want to do...setting the world on fire (figuratively, of course) sounds good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know all about what you mean about phases and not having time! I hated how long I was going between posts, but finding the time and energy just wasn't happening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh inflammation is awful! Mine is up too since I am more tired and my weight is up too, although eating sugar is not helping either! I have had less time lately too and less motivation to work out when I do have time. Gotta get back on track! It sounds like you are finding some interesting ways to help your patients and dare I say the rest of us? Please share more of your findings :) Oh and St. Catherine of Siena said that quote not St. Theresa ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drink that kombucha, girl, and blog whenever your phase lets you!

    ReplyDelete