Sunday, April 12, 2015

Life: Crazy, Beautiful, Challenging

Let's be honest. It may not be life that's crazy, it may be me. The lines are a little blurred at this point.

So, I traveled last weekend. It was great to see family, but crazy stressful to drive that far in a short period of time. I'm not in the least bit caught up from all of that, and I will be at a conference this coming weekend that I have no time to get ready for. I also have a presentation that I have to help give this Wednesday that could be hugely helpful to work if we present it well, but I'm not always the best at presentations... Some prayers would be welcome. I'm super excited about the possibility of being able to help people challenge and change some of their movement limitations, but also somewhat nervous. I sometimes find it hard to really communicate it to people, especially in a large group.

Last week was kind of a big anniversary for me. On April 4, 2010, my life looked pretty set. My company was transferring me to a small town, and I was considering buying a house or a condo in that area. My company was celebrating its 15th anniversary, and I figured I would be there for their 20th. On April 5, 2010 it all changed. I had a day off, and my plans for the day fell through. I was so upset, and I had to figure out why. I realized that I felt stuck and that my life where I was was falling apart. Everything that had been going so well for several years was changing. It suddenly occurred to me that it was time to revisit a long dormant- but never dead- dream of moving to the mountains. It seemed like a bit of a crazy and drastic response, but I didn't really know if anything would come of it anyway. It turned out that within about 5 minutes of first having this crazy idea and deciding to look online for a job, I found a listing that led to the job that I still have. Let me tell you, that is a weird, weird feeling when you realize that a sudden and completely crazy whim could actually become a reality. By June 5, 2010, I had moved.

It was crazy and surreal. Challenging. Amazing. In retrospect, it's hard to believe where my life is right now. How am I a climber who is now looking for a bike so that I can start training for a cycling trip to the Alps? How did I go from nearly completely sedentary to climbing mountains for my weekend fun? How I see myself has changed completely. What I consider possible has changed completely. I no longer feel the least bit stagnant in my profession; I am so excited by the possibilities and new ideas for different patients. I miss the Midwest, and particularly the people there more than I could say, but the mere idea of leaving the mountains makes me die a little inside.

Life here still has all sorts of frustrations and challenges. I am still no closer to being married. My allergies keep causing all sorts of insanity. I love the people in my life and really feel that in many ways I am here to pray for them, and hopefully minister to them in whatever small way that I can. However, I don't really have anyone right now who is a good anchor for my faith. I miss that. A lot. In some ways my job is amazing, but we try to do things better, which means that it's not the easy way, and it's not the way to make the most possible money. Sometimes I just wish it were easier, you know?

But isn't that how life is? Beautiful, wonderful, amazing, but not so much easy.

Easter 2015

12 comments:

  1. I love reading this update - good for you for you taking this leap. I admire you for it! Praying for more happiness to come. It's so true that life is never quite "perfect" or easy, but living it to the fullest definitely helps. And I am a little jealous you have those mountains.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this, and all your pictures too! I love when you post pictures of nature! So beautiful!

    What kind of conference is it that you are speaking at?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! Not speaking at the conference! Ha! That would be a scary thing. Sorry, I didn't explain very well. I'm speaking at a local presentation for runners. The statewide conference that I have to get ready for, I'm just an attendee. I have to get ready because it's a weekend of being gone, and I have to do all the stuff that goes along with that.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad to hear the story of how you found yourself living in the mountains. Amazing how quickly life can change, just on a whim. Good for you, taking that leap.
    Beautiful, wonderful, amazing, but not so much easy...yup. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the picture! And yes, some of the biggest changes in my life have happened in five minute sessions of dwelling on possibilities. I figured out that is just how the Holy Spirit works in my life. Give me too much time to think about it and nothing will happen. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll pray for you with the presentation! I love speaking to groups; that's one thing I've been good at for quite some time. Enjoy the conference, and I hope all goes well.

    (Not that long ago I almost asked you what your thoughts are on younger, non-Catholic guys... but said guy [a co-worker of Husbandido's] seemed to think Catholic gals are all about getting serious. But he was intrigued by how active and outdoorsy you are and that you live in Colorado.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, five years in the mountains. That was a really brave step!!!!! It sounds like God led you there for a reason. I hate feeling crunched for time at work. Next will be like that for me with travel and presentations and all. Prayers for yours!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love when we can look back and pinpoint the exact moment where everything changed. It is fascinating! And like you say, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this reflection. It's true that no matter where you end up, there'll always be frustrations and challenges. You may love work and hate the location in one place and then love the location and hate the city in the next, ya know? And there'll always be crazy people in every location who try to bring you down. We can only try to make the best with what we've got. I struggle with that from time to time, but it's definitely gotten easier, especially when I started really trying to enjoy the here-and-now and not where I wanted to be 5 years from now. Sounds like you're doing a great job of that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *love the location and hate the work, ya know?

      ... is what I meant to say at the end of the 2nd sentence. Oops. Prob should proofread. :P

      Delete
  9. Happy 5 years of living near the mountains! They are beautiful and majestic :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing how one little idea can make you move to the beautiful, breathtaking mountains in two short months! (We must be kindred spirits. lol) I think it is so awesome how you followed your dream!!
    Happy Life-Changing Anniversary!! :)

    ReplyDelete