Sunday, February 15, 2015

Grounded

If you or someone you love has had to talk to me or read anything I've written in the last few months, you've probably had to put up with me getting overly excited about body mechanics and movement. You are probably entitled to an apology, and if I work up a little contrition for it, I'll get on that. I am a little carried away right now, but it's been so much fun. I have had my own thinking challenged, and it as allowed me to challenge others (specifically my patients). The best part for me is seeing my own nagging injuries improve, as well as seeing patients get better. It really feels good to move better!

The downside to all of this studying is that I can't turn it off. I see people standing or walking, and I want to run up to them and excitedly tell them some simple things that they could do to move better and decrease adaptations that lead to restriction and injury. My dad suggested that I could do a PTWB kind of thing "PT Without Borders", to which I said, "It's more like PT Without Boundaries" and nobody wants that! It's kind of frustrating to see some simple fixes that people aren't doing, and knowing some of the problems they are creating for themselves both now and later.

There are several things that are keeping us from moving like we should. The primary one is that we don't know what some of the things are that we could be doing to move better. The second one is that they do take some work. As Chesterton might say, it's not that moving better has been tried and found wanting; it's been found difficult and left untried. Initially, there is work, yes. But in the long run, it opens up opportunities that people don't even know are out there!

All the time I hear, "Well, I reached (whatever age) and I'm just falling apart now" or, "I'm older, so things don't work like they used to." Argh! I think that is a load of crap. Not horse crap, elephant crap. We're talking huge mounds, people! We don't fall apart and stop working well because we get older, we fall apart and stop working well because we move badly, and even though our bodies do a great job of putting up with our poor movement, eventually it catches up with us and injury happens.

One thing that I have noticed in my own personal work that I have been doing is that each of the steps I've taken has led me to be a little more grounded, often in some very literal ways. I'm thinking that's what I want to do for Lent, is to keep working on being more grounded physically as well as spiritually. Physically, I think I will give up the chairs in my house for Lent (but I won't be the weirdo that sits on the floor in public). Spiritually, that's going to mean getting more connected with a faith community, and putting a renewed emphasis on daily Mass and confession at least monthly.

Here's the other thought that I've had, though. Is there any chance that any of you are interested in some posts a couple of times a week about different things that you can work on to move better? Like I said, one of the biggest obstacles to moving better is knowing what to do and where to start. I'm more than happy to share some of the more simple things as well as links to other resources if you're interested.

10 comments:

  1. I love the Chesterton reference!

    Is there any chance that any of you are interested in some posts a couple of times a week about different things that you can work on to move better?

    Yes, please! After hitting that milestone birthday in the Fall, I am fighting against the notion that aches and pains are inevitable. There are too many things to be done to give into a painful and sedentary lifestyle.

    I have been enjoying a mostly pain-free neck after you did whatever you did back in May. It's obvious you know what you are doing and have a great love for learning more. That is a refreshing thing to see as so many people just go through the motions (pun intended) of their everyday lives and careers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooooo interesting!!!! Yes i would be interested. Was just going to ask if u could put together a top ten list, so a few posts sounds interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would absolutely be interested! It's so great that you're so committed to living well - and want to help others live well too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely sounds interesting! Looking forward to hearing about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would be interested for sure :) Still thinking about what it means to give up chairs - does that mean sit on the floor to eat?? Did I miss a post about how to live without chairs?? I will have to research that instead of doing the work I am supposed to do today ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you have to do some posts now that you've asked. We're clearly interested!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The references you've made to this in past posts has made me curious to know more specifics, but I wouldn't even know where to start researching. I was hoping you would someday do a series of posts on this topic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of thoughts in no particular order:

    1) PT without boundaries - I laughed really hard. Too hard? I'm just imagining it in my mind...
    2) I love that you quoted Chesterton for this!!
    3) Definitely interested. I haven't a clue what I do incorrectly, so it might be enlightening to learn more about my own movement. I know exactly how you feel about getting immersed in new research, studying, topics. I'm the same way. HEAD FIRST! :)

    ReplyDelete