Thursday, February 5, 2015

Ahh, Thursday

How is your week going? My sister is not loving this week. She said today feels like the fourth Monday of the week, and she's ready for it to be over. I've had a great week. Not perfect, but at the moment I am enjoying having a chance to sit down and chat with you, and nothing that is absolutely begging for attention.

Budgeting is still going well. I just made it through my first 2 week pay cycle on the budget and I love it. I adjusted some things along the way, but in the end, I have $0 overspent. I did spend more on continuing education than I wanted to in the last couple of weeks, but it's for a conference that's important for me to attend for several reasons, so it's one I had already worked into the budget when I first set it up. I love being able to see what I have, and if I need to make an adjustment, I love the feeling of knowing exactly where it's coming from so that I can make an reasonable judgement about whether it's a good decision. I can't tell you how beneficial it is for me to have it all divided up into categories instead of looking at one pot of so many dollars and trying to figure out if I have enough for a certain thing that I may be spending money on.  Love it! I'm such a nerd that I'm excited for pay day tomorrow so that I can do some more budgeting, and figuring out how to make my money work best for me.

Yesterday was kind of fun, too. I was able to challenge several people with some different thoughts about how we move and what some of the best ways of movement are. I was also able to study some things that challenged me. I love those kinds of days! I actually read one article, and then yelled at my computer for a while. The article was talking about sleeping positions of tribal cultures, and how it helps correct certain musculoskeletal problems. It made a lot of sense, but it was crazy to think that I have spent so much time learning how to treat these problems that people could potentially fix automatically by different sleep patterns!  However, most of these involve sleeping without a mattress, so my job will not be obsolete any time soon, but it's interesting to think about. The article did quote a doctor from Kenya that mentioned that as certain populations got more affluent and adopted more Western ways (think: beds and chairs), they have started to see an increase in hip and knee osteoarthritis. Interesting, no? Also, learned a stretch for people with bunion problems! I was excited about that one, because there are few stretches that people can do for long enough to make them worthwhile, but this one could help.

Then today is Thursday, which is my day off. I was able to get taxes done with only minimal blood and no tears. (Seriously, I got a paper cut that really stung! And, yes, I am a big baby.) I was also able to get several other things done, and it's great to sit here in the evening without huge things hanging over my head. Tomorrow will be busy, but busy is good, and I'm feeling rested and ready. Saturday should hopefully mean cross country skiing, and I can't wait! How's your week going?

10 comments:

  1. I have to agree with your sister on this one. It has been a doozy of a week. This afternoon my husband had a dentist appt after work and then he was going to run an errand for me after that. Well Katharine + nap strike + sleep deprivation = a text to him "please come right home after the dentist, I am so tired." Thankfully I did get a nap in (short, but still restorative) and my FIL decided spur of the moment to stop over for dinner and we enjoy his company, so all in all, it was a good day. (I say that now after having a nap and enjoying a bowl of ice cream with strawberries and chocolate sauce…if you would have asked around 2:30pm…I would have had a different answer.)

    Boo about the paper cut, those are annoying! I am envious of your ability to go cross country skiing. We have been woefully lacking in the snow department and so there haven't been really any opportunities to go. I haven't even gotten mine down from the garage attic. :(

    I hope you have a good week and God Bless! (And I love the mental imagery of what the heck a stretch could be that would help bunions.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People seriously underestimate the therapeutic applications of strawberries, so I'm glad to see it getting a mention *finally* ;). Sorry your little one is nap striking, but glad DH could come to your rescue!

      Delete
  2. Yay for skiing and getting your taxes done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like things are going great for you! Isn't it amazing how getting finances in order makes everything in life better? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope u enjoy cross country skiing. Im a big budgeting and taxes nerd...weird stuff makes me excited.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, now you *really* have me interested in these Kenyan floor sleeping strategies. Any free studies online you could point me to? Would love to read more. People don't talk much about bunion stretching during tax season...so kudos to you for FINALLY linking the two together. (yes, you can smack me, LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray for a budget that is working for you! It is so freeing to be in charge of your money, regardless of how much money it is.
    Sleeping without a mattress, huh? I have had to sleep without a mattress. I don't wake up feeling better. I imagine it's because we've messed out bodies up so badly sleeping in soft, fluffy beds our whole lives.
    Hope you were able to get some skiing in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so funny - the fourth Monday of the week. I'll have to use that at work. :-)
    I love that your budgeting is going so great!! I love making the budget and figuring out where the money will go. The hard part is sticking to it. This month for me is going better than normal. I'd better go knock on some wood that it continues. haha!
    I'm impressed by all the stretches that alleviate pain and bunions!? And like Conceiving Hope, I'm interested in the floor sleeping strategies. I just can't imagine. I love my mattress! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to hear that budgeting is continuing to go well and that you're enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woop woop! Keep up the good work on the budget! :) I can agree that it feels really good to meet budget goals!

    ReplyDelete