Wednesday, January 14, 2015

In the Beginning, It Was Not So

Friends, in the last couple of weeks, I have been doing very little besides nerding out over biomechanics and the way that we were made to move. It's fascinating. Not to mention, I'm finding myself starting to move better than I ever have. Besides improved patellar and toe alignment, I have less neck pain and tightness, and even my massage therapist commented on how much less tightness I have in my neck and quads. PLUS, I have always been the biggest klutz on slippery conditions, but I'm finding myself a lot more comfortable even there. I was not expecting that kind of a change!

Here's the thing about biomechanics. Everything is interrelated. How we move at the ankle affects the knee and the hip, then the pelvis and the spine. How we sit affects the pelvis, then the spine above and our legs below. How well our spine moves affects how well our arms move. Beginning to correct things in this chain brings about changes you would not expect. One of the books that I've been reading is Move Your DNA. I absolutely love the point that it makes that what we perceive as normal (because everyone around us moves the same way) is not actually optimal. It's not how we were made to move, and it's not the best we can do. We can do better.

I don't know if I can fully explain this on a biomechanical level, but it is a cascade of effects. It reminds me a lot of this incredible cascade as you see in this video.



It also makes me think of Theology of the Body, which is another thing that I am attempting to read (I'm one talk in, go me!) Fully understanding the dignity of the human person is not easy, but it is so important. I can't help but think that some of this horrible violence is because people do not understand their own dignity and worth, much less someone else's. Certainly, there is a chaos that is happening with regard to what we consider "okay" in terms of relationships and having children. We are not even certain what all effects these are having on people in day to day life. Obviously, Humanae Vitae predicts some of them, but I think that they are extremely widespread. The thing is, we were not made to be this way, and we can do better.

In all of these things, adaptations have happened. We are so used to some of the effects that we assume such things are normal. But in the beginning, it was not so. We were not made to move poorly and gradually gain more aches and pains throughout our lives. We were not made to be constantly hurting over broken families and relationships. This is not how it's meant to be. It's not "just how it is" We were made for something better, and we can have something better, but we have to overcome the adaptations that were made along the way. It's a step by step process, but it can be done, and it can lead to a greater freedom than we ever thought was possible.

3 comments:

  1. It's really nice and more than welcome to hear about people pulling themselves up and finding remedies and solutions for their ailments. Good thing there's more than one type of treatment at our disposal, should we need them. We should seize how those things work in our favor, and I know you are. Thanks for sharing that! I hope you are faring better these days.

    Agnes Lawson @ Pain Relief Experts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew the body was amazing, but how it moves and is supposed to move ... that's above my comprehension. :-) I am so glad you do what you do to help people like me get better and heal and learn to move better!!

    ReplyDelete