Sunday, January 4, 2015

I'm a Biomechanics Nerd and Not Afraid to Admit It

Ah, man. 2015 gets real tomorrow. The normal routine starts. The normal schedule. The always going, rarely stopped. In some ways, I can't wait. I feel more ready for it than I have in a while. In other ways, I prefer to keep sitting on my couch in my fuzzy socks because A) fuzzy socks are fantastic, and B) who wants to be out in the public sharing all the germs with people who are not staying home when they're sick? Also, I've been really enjoying the watching movies, TV (Friends is on ne.tflix now), and generally relaxing.

One of the things that I have been doing with all of this time off is actually studying. I know, right? And I've enjoyed it. What can I say? I'm a nerd and I get to choose to study interesting stuff AND I don't have to take any tests on it. So, yeah. I'm loving it. I am completely geeking out over some biomechanics books. Y'all, I work with people day in and day out, and some of the things that I have seen over and over through the years have me asking all kinds of questions. These books are not only giving me some answers, but some solutions. I'm working on doing these things myself, and not only is my neck pain getting harder to aggravate, but my other nagging pains seem to be decreasing as well. I also notice that my toes are getting straighter (I was showing some ever so slight signs of bunions forming), my knee caps are not quite as far off track as they were, and in figuring out some issues with my spinal posture, not only does that feel better, but it's actually making my clothes fit a little differently (in a good way)!

It's amazing what we do to our bodies with our chronic postures. We think that neck and upper shoulder tension is just normal, and that's the way it is. We think that arthritis is just normal wear and tear and it happens. C'est la vie. We think that as we age, it's just harder to get up and down from the floor because we're "too old for that". We think that all the little nagging aches and pains that start to sneak up on us are "part of getting older". 

I don't think that's true at all. Don't settle! Aging doesn't hurt! There are other ways out there. Sure, they require a little more work now. Some of them seem absolutely insane to our Western, industrialized brains. But as I find myself moving better than I ever have, some of my nagging little injuries are decreasing, and even my bony alignment improving, I'm going to go ahead and say that it's worth the work! Our bodies are amazing, and I love discovering more and more about what my body can do as I start to take away some of the layers of stress that I have placed on it.

4 comments:

  1. I love this kind of stuff! This is a geek-out well spent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait - do you suffer from lateral patellar subluxation, too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sitting here nodding to the screen as I read this, thinking "yes, I want that too!" I like the thought that Aging doesn't hurt! There are other ways out there. I so want to learn more of what can be done to keep the aches and pains at bay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, this is well timed. My body is falling apart. Part of it is the knee injury, but most certainly not all of it. Any recommendations for what to read first?
    Of course, I am with you on partly (mostly) wanting to continue watching movies and reading books and staying in my fuzzy socks and PJs.

    ReplyDelete