Sunday, December 28, 2014

Hurrah for Christmas, the Best Day of the Year!

Quick, name that quote!

Anyway, I admit that this Christmas has been quite good, even though I have had my definite Eeyore moments.  Perhaps not the best thing ever, but quite nice nonetheless.  Most of the time I have had peace about the whole not going to go see my family. Honestly, that did seem to work out for the best. It has been really nice to have several days that have not involved crazy rushing around. I admit that I was a little scared going into it. When you're single, the holidays can be isolating. Everyone is so busy that the normal activities are curtailed, both group and evening activities, as well as even stuff that people are doing online. There is a lot less interesting stuff on ye olde internet right now!  I certainly applaud that, because focus should be on family and other things. However, since I didn't get to see my family and there are no in laws or children, it was quiet around here, and quiet can be dangerous, especially during the holidays.

Thankfully, it was nice, in this case. I'm a little done with it now, and actually kind of looking forward to Monday, but it was nice. Christmas Eve I made myself a nice dinner and watched our traditional family Christmas movie. It was odd not having someone to punch or poke during the familiar lines, but it was still nice. One of my sisters was home alone nursing a nasty virus, so we texted a lot; she was watching the movie also.  Then I went to Christmas Mass at night (because it was NOT Midnight Mass). It was a great Mass, but I had to stand in the narthex since incense and I are no longer on speaking terms. I still like the idea of incense and I wish it all the best, but I want nothing to do with it. Asthma and incense are no good together. I admit that I chose the later Mass, even though it was way past my bedtime, partly because I wanted to avoid all the kids at the Christmas Eve Mass. Not because they're noisy and whatnot, but because they're awesome, and I knew I was on thin ice with the emotions as it was. There were some kids, but the one little guy crawling and learning to walk with help in the back just made me smile.

Christmas day was awesome. Beautiful, beautiful day in the mountains, great cross country skiing, hanging out with friends, and we made a Christmas dinner in the crock pot that was waiting for us when we got in from the trails. So fun.

Friday I had to deal with my heat going out. There was some slight panic when I couldn't get ahold of my landlords so they could tell me who they normally call and so they could authorize the work. However, in the end, I called a friend who is part owner of a plumbing and heating company was willing to figure out the payment later so that I could not freeze. He sent his partner over, and I've been so much more appreciative of my heat all weekend!  The payment ended up not being a problem and I've gotten it all straightened out with my landlords, so we're good.  Had I been traveling, I may have been coming home to frozen pipes instead of small and easy furnace repair!

Other than that, I have been lazy. I've been reading books, watching series of shows and writing blog posts (obviously). I am really enjoying celebrating the first few days of Christmas.  It's funny how by now the rest of the world has moved on, and it's almost like we really get to start celebrating now that most of the world is discarding the trees that have been up since November.  I love that Christmas is a season and not just a day! One day is not enough after all that preparation.

How was your Christmas? Did you avoid some of the crazy illnesses going around? Can you believe it's almost 2015?

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad we celebrate Christmas as a season, too. It's the best time of year. No shopping, no planning. Just enjoying. Our tree is still up!
    Your Christmas Day sounds delightful. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it.
    I left my sick family at home and went to Mass at the nursing home down the street from my MIL's house. It gets me teary every time I go to Mass there.
    It is shocking that we are going to be starting 2015. Would have sworn we celebrated 2000 just a couple years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great holiday. What was the crock pot recipe? Intrigued. I went into to holiday with a bit of trepidation also, because it was going to be quiet and small. But, like you, the slower pace and quiet is proving fruitful. I guess preparing your heart is helpful:) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a blessed Christmas, even though it was different than expected. Praise God you have heat!!!! Phew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A problem with the furnace is not something one would like to handle during the holiday season. Thankfully, your friend saved you from the hassle by sending his partner to your house and do the necessary repair. That must've been a huge relief. It really is quite convenient to know someone who can help you in this kind of emergencies. Take care, and have a great day!

    Shelley Coday @ C & C

    ReplyDelete