Friday, October 31, 2014

It's a 7 Quick Takes Kind of Friday!



1) It's been a month, so it must be about the right time for Quick Takes, eh? I have a few minutes while I'm waiting for my afternoon snack, so I will write a blog post. (I'm roasting mushrooms and zucchini; I'm really looking forward to it, and excited about it, but it also smells like crescent rolls. You know, the kind in a can? The kind that's all kinds of not Whole30 approved? Yeah, I don't know why that's what it smells like, but it does, and now I want some.)

2) Speaking of the Whole30, it's going fairly well. (I admit to some cheating; I'm not eating foods that are off the plan, but I am eating some of them prepared in ways that are not approved.) I'm getting plenty of fats and proteins, and I have to say, I am really enjoying the food that I'm eating. It's kind of similar to how I was trying to eat anyway, but I just don't have the leeway for those fun treats, and there is no "I'm too tired" or "I don't feel like planning a meal/getting groceries/chopping food/cooking food". You have to do it, so you do. Let's clarify. It's not that I have this wonderful amazing willpower, because I don't. But I can breathe and the foods that I am eating are not making my mouth itch. Therefore, I'm very motivated.

3) Obviously, if you take on anything this drastic, there are a lot of people who think you are all kinds of crazy. One of my friends was very definite in her statement that "no diet can completely take care of allergies".  True. I don't expect a miracle cure, but I am very excited to have a little better management and control of them. What to know what else? She had some different allergy problems, so she went to the dr. and got several different medications. Her symptoms are improving but not gone, and the last time I saw her, she felt drugged and gross. My symptoms are improving but not gone, and I feel awesome!

Seriously, though, the diet changes are very drastic, and I can see why a lot of people don't want to mess with it. I do have plenty of side effects to deal with... Like all the time lost to chopping vegetables! It's not for everyone, but I prefer to deal with the inconvenience rather than feel like crap. I also feel like I am working on healing some underlying problems that I have, rather than just fighting these current symptoms.

4) I'm not being terribly scientific this week, but I have also been trying some essential oils. I have been using some that are for seasonal allergies and some that are for breathing. Because I started them around the same time as the eating, it's a little hard to tell whether it's the seasonal allergy one helping, or the diet. The breathing one is awesome. I only use it when I feel that slight tightness with breathing, and it works well and it works fast. I haven't tried it in place of my inhaler, but I love it for when my symptoms are there but not bad enough to make me want the inhaler.

5) Finally, I made a discovery this week. This has been coming on for a while. In noticing how people move and what some of our restrictions with movement are, I've been thinking about how bad chairs are for us in a lot of ways. Anyway, I haven't done a ton about it in my own life, but I read an article this weekend that fanned the flames, and now I've been finding myself sitting on the floor a lot. I have a cushion (I have hardwood floors; it's the only way!) and it's interesting. I can only do it for so long right now. There has to be good posture or it's going to cause more harm than good, and after a period of time, I can't use good posture, so I'll get up and move around, or sit in a regular chair.  I am SO much more aware of how bad my posture is in the chair, though!  I have been feeling like my low back muscles have been doing their job a lot better, and I even tested a movement pattern that I have a hard time with due to poor back stability, and it is better.  Also, I got a massage today and the massage therapist even noticed less tightness in my back.

I know! I'm crazy restrictive about my diet, I'm using essential oils, and now I'm eschewing chairs! What's next?!!*

6) Enough of my newfound insanity. (Though feel free to remind me of any of your own "craziness" so I don't have to feel alone here!) I wanted to remind you to sign up for the calendar giveaway here if you're going to. I'm going to end it Monday and pick the winner. Also, I don't know if I'll get to posting much of a Europe trip recap here. I have it in another place for those of you that are interested in photos of Europe, just email me for the link (it's got my name attached for my family and stuff, so I won't just post it here).

7) I have very few photos from the last month or so, but here's one at least.


Have a wonderful weekend and head over to Jen's for more (sane) Quick Takes!

*Actually, probably some sort of vinegar cleaning solution to replace my Cl.orox wipes. I know, they're bad and I shouldn't have waited this long, but DANG, they're convenient!

7 comments:

  1. So glad the diet is going well! Ya know after running yesterday, even though I stretched a lot after, I could not sit in a chair or the couch. My lower back was hurting so I sat on the floor for awhile and it felt so much better! Can you explain to me why my back prefers the hardwood floors? It just sounds insane to me when all I want to do after running is collapse on the couch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad the WholeFood 30 thing is going well for you. I am about to get back on strict Paleo November 1. I hope to do it longer than 30 days this time and really see about making it permanent. I LOVED the food I ate (who doesn't love unlimited bacon and eggs?) and I really loved the results.

    Hmmm, I got my first chiropractor adjustment in August and have been going (albeit with longer times in between adjustments) since. I noticed IMMEDIATELY that the chair at work was NOT good for me. But...what to do? Gotta sit at the desk. Thinking about taking a ball in to sit on...not so sure, though. I"ll be that crazy lady who sits on a ball! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right about the movement thing. It might sound crazy, but I've been experimenting with squatting rather than sitting. I figure if it's good enough for other women around the world, who do a lot of their daily work that way, it ought be good enough for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! I will say that the squat is a great thing to do, but because of what we've done to our mechanics with things like chairs (and shoes!), it's sometimes a good thing to work up to a correct squat. An incorrect one can increase injury. There's too much to go into here, but I think this is a good link to get some more things to think about: http://www.katysays.com/you-dont-know-squat/

      Delete
  4. Love the fall photo! That is interesting about chairs. Roasted mushrooms and zucchini sound amazing.

    ReplyDelete

  5. "I know! I'm crazy restrictive about my diet, I'm using essential oils, and now I'm eschewing chairs! What's next?!!" My thoughts exactly;) Jk it just made me laugh when you said that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete