Sunday, July 27, 2014

C'est La Vie

Perhaps you can tell, but life has just been what it is around here lately. There hasn't been a lot that I've been dealing with personally, so consequently, the blog has been a little quiet. The last month has been tough in some ways, but in what is going on with people around me, not in my own life. Can I just say, take the time to let the people in your life know what they mean to you. It is important, even if you feel a little cheesy sometimes doing it.

Beyond that, what's been going on? Well, as I said, even though none of it has been happening to me, there's been enough going on where I want to help fix things for people and I can't, so in processing some of that, I have been working out more than usual. It has been good, but it's also been good to rest today. Last week, I threw in an extra day of spin and an extra day of climbing. Why it's taken me to my 30's to figure out that working out is better for processing than comfort food or retail therapy. Actually, I usually don't do retail therapy, because I have to be in just the right mood to shop and have enough in the bank, or it stresses me out. I used to do the comfort food, but then I end up feeling like crap, so that's not such a great option. Sweating, though? Sweating is good. It doesn't fix the problems, but it does make me more prepared to deal with them, or to deal with the rest of life when there's no fixing the problems.

Moving on in this lovely, not at all thought out, stream of consciousness post, I am very excited about getting a new camera lens, but I have mixed feelings. I thought my old lens was scratched, and that's why I had problems on some photos. New lens, same old problem. I also have a camera error that happens that they thought was a problem with the lens and the body of the camera "talking" to each other, but that wasn't fixed with a new lens either. Finally, now with a wide angle lens, it's picking up some extra issues in the corner. Blerg. Most of it can be edited pretty easily, but I don't want to have to edit for stuff like that. On the other hand, I'm loving the added zoom that I now have!

Let's see, working, working out, eating, sleeping. Yeah, that's about it right now. I'm really looking forward to my trip in the fall, and we're working out some of the details for that. I do have the new lens partly because I'm going to be needing to take so many photos! Looking forward to it!

We obviously need a little photo from the weekend.

7 comments:

  1. "Why it's taken me to my 30's to figure out that working out is better for processing than comfort food or retail therapy." Was a line you wrote that stuck with me...really...It took me to my 40's and I'm still trying to get away from running to comfort food when I'm depressed or stressed. I'm thankful I found the gym...and it has helped me feel so much better about myself...however..that dang chocolate...sometimes...comfort overrules.

    After my friend's dh passed away suddenly...I certainly think more about how we don't know how much time we have left with the people that matter to us. Cheesy or not...we need to let them know how much they mean to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always have the most beautiful pictures! I am glad you got to get a new lens, how fun! I agree working out is better at managing stress, I need to turn to working out more. Any good suggestions on self motivating when trying to get back into a work out routine?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the weekend photo!! :) i also know a lot of people going through things that i can fix, i should remember that working out helps, i do think you are right about that, at least as a stress reliever. Glad things otherwise are going smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's true that working out can relieve stress way better than eating a huge slice of chocolate cake or spending all your money on new shoes. It makes sense that people would rather eat or shop, though, because all the fun is upfront. But then you end up feeling bad once you get home and feel like a chubbo or have no more money. Whereas with working out, you've gotta motivate yourself to do it, and it kinda hurts thru the workout, but once you're done, you feel waaaayyyyy better. So here's my question: How do I motivate myself to work out when I'd rather be eating a big bowl of whipped cream? Even when I know I'm going to feel way worse after the whipped cream and way better after the workout?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I would say that there can be a time for a little bit of comfort food or retail therapy (within limits, of course), and that there are ways to use exercise to work through things in the wrong way. (Not that I'm suggesting that you're doing that - more speaking from personal experience.) It's when you're putting your body through tough work outs as punishment for failing you that you can hurt or it can get in the way of actually dealing with what's going on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To echo Kat, seriously, your pictures are STUNNING. I hope you've taken the time to frame one or two...they really are gorgeous. As for working out, enjoy those highs! I miss the spin classes that I took in MN soooo much...such a great stress-buster, I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes the same-old, same-old is good ... and sweating ... that feels best right after a refreshing shower. :-D I always enjoy your posts and can't wait to get some photos from that new lens! :)

    ReplyDelete