Sunday, June 29, 2014

Little Happies ~10~



Linking up with Stephanie for Little Happies. (Stephanie, I'm more convinced than ever that I would love for LH's to be more than once a month, but I really will accept whatever you think is best! Also, very well aware that I speak as someone who hasn't had the time and/or wherewithal to be that on top of joining in the last few weeks.  But I WANT to join every week, so does that count??)

This is a fun week.  I thought about saving some of these for the next week, but then I thought, nope next week's happies can take care of themselves.  I'm just going to dump a bunch now, including some from previous weeks since I was not on top of it enough to get them in before.

Man, where to start? How about a photo dump? Because hiking always makes me happy! (If this was a showing in a gallery, we could call it "Doors, Flowers, and Mountains.")

1) "Ghost town":

An old rusty bridge, but there's a mountain in the background, so it works.

Post office doors

Fake flowers in the window at the ghost town
Still in the ghost town...
 2) Random flowers:
I absolutely LOVE cactus flowers!
 3) Hiking last weekend:
Sunset (we had to camp the night before)

Cannot get enough of teeny tiny alpine flowers!

See what I mean? (These are maybe half the size of your fingernail in real life)

Reflections are a definitely a happy!


4) Hiking this weekend:
I love being above tree line!

I love mountain lakes! And that sky!!
5)The wind on the mountain this weekend kept making me laugh. It was crazy intense and cold, but fun. We were doing a fairly mild hike up a wide, flat ridge, so I wasn't too worried about the wind blowing us over the edge, or we would not have continued on. (Our summit for the week was just above the snow you see on the top of the last photo. So we really did not want to get too close to the edge.) Anyway, it made me laugh, because when we got to the top of the saddle (lower place between two peaks), the wind was funneling through there. I leaned forward and let the wind hold me up, which it kind of did, so that was fun.  Then we were walking with it to the side of us, and when I would pick up my foot to take a step, the wind would blow it across my other foot! It only last for a short time until my brain figured out how to adjust for it, but it was funny while it lasted. Yes, I know there's something wrong with me for enjoying the elements that much when they are that intense, but there's just something about being out there in the midst of it that I can't describe, but absolutely love.

6) This week I pushed myself in the gym to the point that I almost wanted to puke.  When I felt like that, I smiled. You see, this week our instructor was on vacation, and I see myself as someone that doesn't work out hard at a gym. Which is silly, because I've been working out hard at a gym for months now, but always with someone telling me what to do. This week, I decided to prove to myself that I could work out hard with or without an instructor.  It was very exciting to me to reach that point. (The point of working hard, I wasn't trying to get to that point, specifically.)  I'm still really glad our instructor is back next week. It's much more fun that way and I can't imagine self motivating week in and week out at that level, but I'm really glad I had the chance for that day.

7) Some amazing greek yogurt that I've had recently.  I mostly avoid dairy, but I was trying to add back in just a little bit. My stomach wasn't totally thrilled with it, but it wasn't too bad as long as I don't eat too much of it. I found this brand that tasted absolutely amazing! Totally worth it!

8) Kind of a big happy: My car sustained some cosmetic damage a few weeks ago! I am SO excited! Not because of the damage, but because I took it in to get an estimate and they cut me a check. I'm definitely not getting it fixed; the car is getting oldish and has a lot of miles on it. Some people have said to me, "Oh, so it's not that noticeable, huh?" Who really cares? It's noticeable all right, but I'm just going to say it adds character. So what if that character has a distinctly ghetto vibe? At the end of my life, I'm going to love that I drove a dented car and treasure the fact that it financed a trip to visit a good friend of mine. Who lives in Europe.

Yep. I'm working on the details, and it'll be a little ways off, but it's going to happen and I can't wait! :)

-->

14 comments:

  1. These are great happies. Love love love all the pics, I think the top one is my favorite with the bridge and the mountains in the back. You should do a post with basic photo skills for setting up shots. Love the pic with the moutains reflected in the water. Nice job at the gym! I was there today, but cut my workout short. I would like to be exercising outside but it is way way too hot. Might have to wait until fall to start jogging outside. Yay for insurance money from your car. We just bought a new used car and hubby accidentally backed it into a chain-linked fence on the way home from the dealer...poor thing. It's at the body shop now, and hopefully insurance will cover it, but not fun. If we hadn't just boughten it I would totally have taken the money and went to Europe!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the pics! My favorite is the reflection one. Ooohhhh how exciting Europe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was all, ooooh, Ghost Town! But I forgot what I was going to say about that because EUROPE! Yay for THAT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish we could join you. We love hiking! Those pictures you posted are so beautiful! Reading about the gym made me so jealous because in the states that was our one escape from stress. I personally loved the classes... But now that we are in Costa Rica it is a struggle to exercise. We walk everywhere having no car but I sure wish we could find a way to kick it up a notch :)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh - where in Europe? It sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Europe!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow, that IS a big happy!!!! You will have an amazing time because really, how can you not in Europe?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the photo dump pics! I'm getting a new camera soon so I'll be able to take better pics than what I can get on the phone. Europe and visiting friend sounds like a wonderful distraction. You'll get some great pics there!

    I like working out with instructors as well...they keep me on track. Otherwise I know I wouldn't work out as hard...which is why I don't like to work out at home...I'm too easy on myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pictures are so amazing. Europe is sooo worth driving a dented car! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those pictures are amazing! I especially love the sunset and its reflected colors in that little pool of water. Gorgeous. And... EUROPE!!!! So pumped for you!! :) Can't wait to hear more as plans unfold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS -- I agree, let's keep doing this thing weekly! :D

      Delete
  10. Where is that Ghost Town and where were you hiking? I want to go wherever you were stat!!! So beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This whole thing just made me so happy to read. Glad you have so much happiness in your life! (And I'm glad I get to enjoy the pictures!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, I just love alpine flowers!
    And, congrats on funding a trip to Europe! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some day, I will go hiking in the mountains! I've climbed a couple, but all of them are this side of the Mississippi. We don't make them nearly so big over here. Your gorgeous pictures only make me want to go more.
    Reflection photos always rank high on my list of favorites. Yours of the sunset is stunning!
    I'm laughing about your use of the car money to fund a trip to Europe. I rear-ended a parked car in a parking lot a few weeks ago. He got an estimate and said it was going to be a ridiculous $4000 to fix. It's a 2004 Explorer worth $2000. He doesn't want the cash we offered him, but wants it fixed. I can't wrap my brain around that. I'm with you. The dent shows character. It proves the van has lived a full life. Kind of like my grey hairs and wrinkles. :)
    Enjoy Europe! I just got back from my first trip there on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete