Friday, April 4, 2014

Of Temperamental Computers and Other Stories

My computer screen is black right now. Yep. The computer seems to be working fine overall, but the screen? Not so much.  I'm not kidding y'all.  I am not responsible for any typos.  At first I I started to write this when the screen was working, but when it stopped after the title, I thought I'd pound away anyway. It's been that kind of week.

I don't really want to buy a new computer right now.  It's on the list of things that I've been saving for.  I can buy, I just wanted a little more in the nest egg first.  Because I have expensive tastes. I am one of those folks that has to have a Mac.  I am going to look into refurbished, though.  Actually, first this puppy's going to the repair shop, THEN I will look into what I need to do to buy something.

I am still quite far behind on paperwork BUT the system seems to be a little better than it was. I will do more tomorrow, but obviously I will have to go into work as I will actually have to see what I'm doing there.  First I will hike, though.  I need some serious fresh air in my life.

I was very excited to go the the grocery store tonight.  I was going to take a photo of my empty fridge today, because I was very proud of it.  I set a budget for the last 2 weeks and stuck to it. It had the added advantage of helping me to clean out my overfull freezer, the refrigerator and some of my cabinets. My food budget should be a little larger these next couple of weeks, but I love that it's making me be a little more mindful of what I'm spending.  I was SO tired of the food that I was eating by the end of this week though. There's a reason that it was not getting cleaned out.  It's not my favorite stuff by far!

I had the saddest conversation with someone today.  She seemed to think that one or two kids was the MAX anyone should have.  Unless you spread them out enough that you could give them each undivided attention, especially in their younger years.  I said that older siblings are often great with younger ones, but apparently she was an older sibling and resented having to help with her younger brother and sister.  Sad.  I am also an older sibling and I didn't always enjoy babysitting duty and all the rest, but I'm really glad that I have all the siblings that I do, and I think that the parts that were harder really were good for me (character building and all that, like my dad used to say every time I complained).  I wanted to cry when she said that she didn't really see her younger siblings as people until they were older.  That's the craptastic culture of death, and I want no part of it.

Okay, I can get the screen working for brief periods to sort of check my typing, but I need to stop being ridiculous and get off the broken computer. I really don't know whether to hope there's an easy fix or to hope that I get to get a new computer. I don't love either answer, but I will love either having a new computer (which I've been wanting for a while now) or getting to keep my money for some other things I wanted to get and do this summer.  I guess I can just be happy either way this goes.  Since I don't have much of a choice. Computerless is not a choice at this point of my life.  Someone did suggest an iPad with a keyboard, but I don't really think that's the way I want to go.  I don't know.  I'll have to decide soon, I guess.

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bummer about your computer...I think you would enjoy a new computer. We just bought one a few months ago, after ours died. The new one is so much faster. Wow, that convo about one or two kids is so sad, I hate it when people say things like that. I just wish they could step outside themselves and realize what they are saying. As the oldest in a large family I totally agree with you. Hope you get some hiking in this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. one more thing...in case it's helpful, we just started using a "fun" budget program called YNAB: You Need a Budget. We've only used it one month, but love it so far. We also have it installed on our phones so we can enter transactions as we are out and about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just bought a new laptop last fall and just a few weeks ago...it died. Kaput. Nothing. We had a warranty on it (Thank God) so we returned it for a full refund. The funny thing is that we bought it for my new job and I don't really need a laptop so I am going to spend that refund on other things I need for my job (toys).

    Ugh to the woman who doesn't believe in bigger families. Thank God my parents did not stop at two kids...I wouldn't be here. I love my siblings and I know they love me. I couldn't imagine growing up without them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for you and your food budget! I'm always really pleased when we meet our budget b/c it's a challenge! Sorry about your computer and hope you find a Mac on sale soon. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am biased the other direction about children. If we somehow knew in advance that we would only ever have one, regardless of whether they were biological children or adopted, I don't know that I would want to have just that one child. I have seen too many friends and family members center their whole lives around their only children. While I know it is possible to raise an only child who doesn't become a narcissistic, spoiled brat, I don't know if I trust myself to be able to raise a healthy, well-adjusted only child.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is pretty awesome blind typing! I hope you can get your screen fixed, though!
    Culture of death, indeed! That is exactly what that is!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like how you ended up with a win-win scenario at the end there!! I hope the computer is fixable (and the fix is cheap!), but a new Mac sounds nice too! What Mac do you own right now? I'm a Mac girl too, btw. :) And way to go on sticking with a food budget. It's so hard for me to want to eat the stuff in the bowels of the fridge, but it feels really good to set a spending goal and meet it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What is it about computers that they seem to die at the most inopportune times? Hope it's fixable for you!

    ReplyDelete