Friday, February 21, 2014

7 Quick Takes Friday



1) Hmm, I'm seriously considering the 7 posts in 7 days thing.  I don't know.  I do know that I really enjoyed it the last time around.  It was a lot of fun reading from some of my favorite blogs.  But I enjoyed NOT being one of the post-ers.  This time, I feel like I have things to write about, even if they are no different than anything else that I ever write about, and I always feel like people get burned out from hearing from me too much. (Right. Because people really think about that.  We only ever think it of ourselves!)  I don't know.  I guess I have a couple days to decide.  Any one else in?  I'll be sure to read all your posts if you tell me that you're in!

2) Normally, my Thursdays are all run, run, run.  It's my day off, and as I work LONG days Monday through Wednesday and I have to prepare for Saturday on Friday night, it's my only day to run errands, do appointments, cook food, etc.  This Thursday, not so much.  I couldn't get myself in gear in the morning, I skipped my usual hike, and I did blogging and such.  I was just tired, y'all.  I had several errands that I flat out skipped, which I mostly didn't feel bad about, though I really should have gone to confession.  On the other hand, sometimes you just need to not run. It's a nice change of pace, and the rest should set me up (hopefully) for a good workout tomorrow and fun times cross country skiing on Saturday!

3) I really hope it's not too warm Saturday.  Don't hate me for saying that!  It's just that I love the cross country skiing, and when the snow starts to melt on top, your kick and glide becomes more of a kick and stick.  I have no problem if it's warm and lovely where you are, but I want it to be cold and lovely in the mountains.  Fair?

4) Can I spend some time on a couple of my pet peeves with blogging?  (Why, thank you, I think I will now that you've given me permission.)  One is the one where there is the big announcement about stepping away from blogging in order to foster those "real" relationships in their lives.  Don't get me wrong.  I think there are times and seasons where it is a good and healthy thing to step away from blogging for a time or altogether.  I also think that there are many things in life that should have priority over blogging.  But when you start to talk on some level about how unimportant blogging is, or how those virtual relationships are not so important, please remember that most of the people reading are bloggers who have probably enjoyed sharing a small part of your life, and who really treasure some of the relationships that they have from being online. I always feel like my life and my time to blog has been a bit belittled when I read stuff like that, even though I know that is NOT what the writer intended to say AT ALL.

5) This has been a PSA to all those who intend not to blog for Lent.  Again, I think that may be exactly the right decision for you and I applaud you.  But can we please keep the announcements to why you need this right now and not discuss how blogging as a whole takes away from "the important things in life"?  'Cuz sweeping statements about blogging and bloggers includes me, and then I make it about me, even though you intended it to be about you.

6) My other HUGE pet peeve is the whole "phase" and "faze" thing.  A "phase" is a "distinct period or stage in a process or in life".  "Faze" means to "disturb or disconcert (someone)."  So please stop saying "it didn't phase me" (oh, man, I tensed up just writing it that way!  Argh!) when what you mean is it didn't "faze" you.

I will understand if you now feel an urge to write about how annoying grammar nazis are.  I don't blame you in the slightest. (And if you want to write about the annoying overuse of parentheses, commas, and ellipses, then I can supply all sorts of shining examples of what not to do from the archives... Though I have helpfully included all in this one post so you don't even have to search too hard.)

7)
Trails and trees and snow, sweet! Hope we get to ski for hours this weekend!

Have a WONDERFUL weekend, and head over to Jen's for more Quick Takes!

11 comments:

  1. "I really hope it's not too warm Saturday. Don't hate me for saying that!"

    I just really dislike this statement.

    We live in the city and some of us do not have driveways, and instead park on the street. We like snow, but we have no where left to shovel when we shovel out our cars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is why I wished warm and lovely weather for those of you that need it! :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful snow picture! Uh oh, I think I confuse "phase" and "faze" regularly. Maybe I'm odd here, but I don't think giving up blogging for lent would be good for me. (Or the relationships I've formed through blogging!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll do the 7 Posts in 7 Days if you do! I have no recollection of seeing this before, and it sounds like a great challenge.

    I'm with you on #4 & 5. Granted, I may count on my "virtual" relationships more than many, as I do live a somewhat hermit-like life. (I leave the house maybe 3 days a week, 4 if there's a lot going on.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful picture! Wishing you perfect weather this weekend.
    Still on the fence about the whole 7-in-7 this go-around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I have been so guilty of #4!

    Love that pic, M!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I could survive without blogging, even if only occasionally! I neeeeeed it for my sanity! And even if I'm connected on FB with bloggers, and instagram with others, and twitter with still others, you can't pour out your soul on those platforms, so blogging fills a completely different purpose for me. And yes, I miss those connections with other bloggers when I'm away for even a short time!
    One of my favorite grammar pet peeves are when people misuse loose and lose. I don't think we should apologize for enjoying proper grammar :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sometimes think about not blogging...not because I don't want too....but because I don't get any comments and therefore I think/feel no one wants to read about me anymore. I shouldn't take the lack of comments personally but I do...lack of comments means I'm not interesting. I don't think I would announce it...I would just take a break and come back when I was ready or had something REALLY interesting to share.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Re: number 4 and 5, I know what you mean! With the people I've met via blogs, my main complaint is that I haven't met everyone in real life / people live so far away!! But I do consider them real friends - they've really shared something of themselves with me, and vice versa. And I don't have plans to not blog in Lent - maybe God will make it clear that I shouldn't, but blogging is a really safe space for me and has been so beneficial.

    Your photo is beautiful!! (as always)

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha I love your grammar complaints! I'm surprised you can tolerate reading my blog; I tend to make up my own punctuation rules, but I do have major pet-peeves about certain words being misused like 'to' and 'too.' ahhhh! And I love your point about blogging being an important source of real connections in your life!

    ReplyDelete