Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy New Year!

It is a new day in a new year.  Is anyone else excited?  I am, I really am this year.  2013 was good overall.  I don't remember big happenings or events this year, but rather the little things that make up life.  I went paleo for a short while and found that I do better keeping gluten and dairy restricted.  I hate that it makes me a pickier eater, but I love that it means that I lost my muffin top somewhere along the way.  I started spin class and became a regular, and I love the changes that is bringing to my fitness level.  I think my greatest "discovery" of the year, though, was learning a lot more about taking one moment at a time.  I don't remember where the exact quote was, or how it went, but I love that Father Philippe (in Interior Freedom, I think) points out that we are often concerned about the future and the past, but the present moment, no matter how much smaller it seems, is the one where we meet God.

And so it is that I am excited for a year of many, varied, unpredictable moments, those opportunities to meet God and love others in whatever little ways present themselves. I don't know what the year holds, but it is fresh and full of possibility.  Of course, there is also a little dread in my heart for whatever tragedies this year holds, because those will always happen, either to us or to someone that we know and love.  But I remember what our papa, JPII, said and what Jesus tells us over and over.  Do not be afraid.  God will be there, even then.

I don't really have resolutions this year.  I just want to meet the moments that present themselves, big, small, happy, sad, momentous or mundane. And I want to encounter Him in those moments and in the people that are in my life in each of those moments.

Yes, yes I did go all Pollyanna on you.  I do that sometimes.  Better Pollyanna than Eeyore, though, right? Praying for a blessed year for each of you in 2014!  And just because I don't have any particular plans or resolutions for the year doesn't mean that you don't.  I'd love to hear your hopes or plans or resolutions for 2014 if you care to share. Happy New Year!

Sunrise from last Jan. 1st, since the clouds were too heavy for a good shot today.

8 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! I quit calling them resolutions, but I do have a few goals for the New Year: to be more consistent with my workouts, to be a better correspondent, to rebuilt emergency savings. I could probably go on, but I don't want to end up with too many!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the quote by Fr. Philippe to live in the present moment - where we meet God!
    As for goals this year, as always - to be healthier by exercising & diet. One day at a time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto AIHPT, the quote is excellent. Something for me to really think about as I tend to be a "planner", always looking ahead. I think one of my goals this year will be to follow your example and take each moment as it comes.

    Have a terrific and blessed New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year! I love your photography. One of my goals this year is pretty simple, but necessary. I keep finding things or books that others have loaned us over the last few years that I have failed to return in a timely manner, so I already have a small box of these items and I will be hand delivering them in the days to come! Hope you have a wonderful 2014!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous shot!! Happy New Year! (I skipped "resolutions" this year too! Just surviving this spring is good enough for me. :D)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year! The part about meeting God in the moment, and realizing that is the only place where we can meet him - beautiful. I must spend some time reflecting upon that. Thank-you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year! Your post made me extra excited about 2014, so thanks =) It is nice to have a new, fresh year. Like nice, fresh snow =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My resolutions wound up being too long for a comment. Look for a post tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete