Friday, January 10, 2014
7 Quick Takes Friday
As we all do, I have a mile-long list of things to do, but for whatever reason this morning, I just can't. So I thought I'd start Quick Takes a day early on my day off, and maybe get one posted this week... Since it's been over a month since I've participated! Thanks to Jen for hosting, and head over her way for more Quick Takes.
1) I really do feel for all of you that have been dealing with the polar vortex* this week, despite the fact that instead of telling some of you that I cared and hoped you were staying safe (WHICH REALLY IS WHAT I WAS THINKING!), I instead let smart-assery reign in the texting.** Did you really expect any more from me? Anyway, those temperatures were insane. Even the ones that I'm hearing from the southern climes; no, they're not "extreme" cold compared to what I'm used to, but it's legitimately cold.
We've had cold here, too, but I'm not sure that we really got hit by this vortex thing. It's just January, and though we've seen a couple of degrees below zero and some windchills into the negative teens and twenties, it's normal for around here. The nice thing is, it doesn't usually stay in the deep freeze here, so daytime temps have been quite pleasant for the most part.
2) Spin class is still kicking my butt, and I'm still loving it. So far, we haven't seen as many new people as you would normally expect for this time of year. Not sure what's up with that, but it's okay by me. Don't get me wrong, newbies are welcome as long as I get a bike! Apparently they are having "fun activities" in the gym next, which means dressing up with all black one day, crazy socks another, etc. I don't remember what's supposed to happen on which day, and there's a good reason for that. I don't care. When I roll out of be to get to the gym in time for class at 5:30, you'll not find enough festivity in me for "fun" stuff that's far more of a pretext than it is actual fun. I'm there to work, people!
3) I don't exactly have any New Year's resolutions, but I don't think I've used the microwave yet in 2014. I would like to phase it out of my life. I like it less and less all the time. I have ideas about the fact that it may not be as healthy, but I don't have any real evidence to that end. I do know that microwaved food tastes like crap, and I somehow feel a little more grounded (okay, I don't know exactly how to describe how I feel about it, so close enough?) when I take a little more time and am more mindful about preparing and eating my food. The second part of that was really surprising to me, but it is now the biggest reason that I want to stay away from it.
4) My feet are cold. I know you don't care, I'm just saying.
5) I have a Twitter account. I'm not very good at it. First I didn't tweet because I didn't know what to say. It's tough coming up with brilliance until you get into practice. Then I told myself that brilliance wasn't needed so much as just to post something (and besides, if I wait for brilliance, that may never happen, ever), so I've maybe composed two very mediocre tweets in 3 months. I'm late to the Twitter party AND I'm a wallflower now that I've finally gotten there.
Okay, now to make fully half of you forget anything you have previously read in this post:
6) Umm, so somehow I'm going to have to overcome my apathy towards watching the new season of Downton Abbey. When I get ticked off, I don't want to watch a show anymore. The only way to get over it is to watch it. But I don't want to. But the grudge will last until I do watch it... and so on.
And now you will all ignore any other takes I have an only leave me comments about how I NEED TO WATCH IT NOW. I know how you are.
7) No new pictures to add, so I'll go with one from Kansas in November.
*Is it just me or are there a whole slew of new terms that we are learning for weird weather phenomena that just keeps switching things up?
**Being from the Midwest and knowing a bunch of people in the areas that the news kept talking about, I may have sent out a few texts about our not-as-cold temps... I may have been called a jerk and gotten some sarcastic replies. It's okay, though, I'm pretty sure most of it was good natured. It is certain that I deserved what I got. It is also definite that I am not nearly as repentant as I should be!