Sunday, December 1, 2013

A Whole Season of Waiting

So.  We're heading into Advent.  A very, very strange thing happened to me this year.  I realized Advent was coming up (not the strange part), and I got excited about it!  Weird, huh? A whole season of the Church dedicated to waiting, and I was excited?? You see, there's this thing about waiting, in that it sucks and I hate it, so why on earth is there suddenly excitement?

The answer is, I don't really know.  Maybe I'm starting to see it a little like spin class and some of my other hard work outs.  I have a sort of dread for those days.  They kind of hurt.  Not that they're causing pain, but they cause serious discomfort.  But, wow.  The results of those kinds of workouts!  Physically and mentally, they make you stronger.  You dread them and you love them all at the same time. At the end of spin class, I get off the bike and think, "I just did that."  Or I get to the top of the hill and think, "I'm still alive, and I made it, and look at that amazing view!"  And then I see the results in my activities.  More energy, more ability to keep trucking on the trail or with whatever adventures are up for that current weekend.

Waiting sucks, but waiting with a purpose leads to something greater (even while it still sucks). As in, I still don't know if this particular wait (to fulfill a marriage vocation) will ever end.  There are no guarantees that I will ever get married and even fewer guarantees that I will ever get to have children.  But I do know that this waiting has led to other things, much needed things in my life.  Things pertaining to the higher calling that we all have in our call to holiness, to be set apart for God.

Maybe that's why I'm so excited about Advent.  We are all called to holiness, whatever our stage in life is.  We are all waiting for something.  For some, the wait is all consuming and obvious in their lives.  Others are so caught up in the day to day of their current lives that they are mostly unaware of the wait. But Advent reminds us that we are all waiting for the coming of Christ, both in personal ways in our lives now, but also that we are waiting as a Church for His coming.  And He is coming.  And that's exciting!

So, I'm sure like last year, there will be another couple of posts about waiting.  Because I am one of those people for whom the waiting is obvious.  I'm not very good at it most of the time, but I will say that after a decade or more of waiting, I feel like I'm finally starting to learn a couple of things, so I'll share some things that have had some meaning for me. And they may even be slightly different from some of the things I posted last Advent (but I guarantee nothing, because I'm a slow learner, and may not have picked up much new.) I hope that it helps me get a better grasp on learning and living these things and maybe it will help someone reading, too.

Have a very blessed Advent!


6 comments:

  1. A blessed Advent to you, too! One of the great reminders of Advent is that ultimately our waiting will end, even if it takes until we get to Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the line "waiting with a purpose leads to something greater."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't get the combox to add to my comment... so here is part II.
    Everybody has to wait for something - and I think the waiting with a purpose makes a more fruitful wait. I usually get antsy, impatient and cop an attitude, but I think any future seasons of waiting I have, I can be more purposeful - or at least more prayerful - than I have been before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree. Here's to waiting together for the something greater! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, love "waiting with a purpose leads to something greater." Thanks for this much needed reminder! Praying for you<3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully written, friend! :)

    ReplyDelete