Friday, November 8, 2013

7 Quick Takes Friday

1) Y'all, I so do not do well with creepy crawly things.  I have mentioned the spider issues at various times, but yesterday it was a mouse. In my office. While I was working with a patient, and had to pretend to be a professional!  NOT OKAY!

2)I have noticed in my professional life, there have been a number of times that the outside and the inside of me are not allowed to match up.  It ends up looking something like this:

Patient is lying on the table while I work on him. I look up and see a mouse run across the floor.

Inside: "Oh, sh crap*, no way, no WAY!  A mouse did NOT just run across my floor!!"
Outside: "Excuse me a moment, it looks like something just moved."

I get up to investigate. I don't see it, but I when approach an exercise ball blocking my view, 

Inside: "WAIT! DON'T MOVE THE BALL, DON'T MOVE THE BALL! IT MIGHT BE RIGHT THERE! AND THEN WHAT WILL YOU DO??"

I move the ball.

Outside: "Hmm, I don't see anything. Maybe I just imagined it."
Inside: "Please, please, please let me have imagined it!"

A couple minutes later,

Outside: "Oh, there it is, I guess I didn't imagine it."
My patient: "Yep, that's a mouse, you didn't imagine it."
Inside: "Dangitdangitdangitdangitdangitdangitdangit."
My patient: "Do you want me to get it for you?"
Outside: "That would be great."
Inside: "That would be the most wonderful thing in the world!  You will be immediately vaulted to the status of most favorite patient in the history of patients! Please get the mouse!  I'm not sure what you're going to get it with... Your bare hands?  I don't care!  Get it, please!"

We look a few minutes, but are unable to find it, so we have to give up the search and finish the treatment.  I can only hope for the rest of the treatment that it has left my room.

3) I told the person at the front desk, and she looked properly horrified at the thought of a mouse running around in the back somewhere.  But another coworker overheard it and dismissed me with a "You're bigger than it is... Wait, weren't you the one that had a problem with a bug that one time, too?"

Ha! "That one time."  Shows what YOU know, since there were a whole lotta times that I've had problems with bugs.  And why would you think the small size is supposed to make me feel any better? It's not like I'm afraid the thing is going to eat me.  I think more about the vermin infested thing waiting in a hidey hole and biting my fingers when I reach for something.  Or it might crawl on me.  And, yes, that would be a horribly bad thing!

I'm pretty low maintenance and not much of a girly girl most of the time, but if you want me to go all stereotypical on you, just send a rodent or an arachnid across the room, and we're there! Our lovely host Jen has all my sympathies with her various pest problems.

4) Also, I was initially relieved that it happened at the end of the day and I could leave, but once I got home, I realized one of my bags had food in it and it was by the floor.  So then I kept wondering if it hitched a ride.  I'm better now... Until I have to go to work in the morning.

5) Oh, wait! These are supposed to be quick takes? And they're supposed to be about different little things going on in our lives?  I'd say "my bad," but that was a horribly annoying saying when it was a saying.  Besides, I'm not taking responsibility. I blame the rodent. But I do have a snippet for you!  I'm almost finished putting together a calendar for 2014.  I think.  There are a lot of the pictures that I really like, but there are a couple that I'm not exactly excited about.  I may have to rethink a couple. Anyway, (not anyways, because that is NOT a word! Argh, pet peeve alert!  Okay, I'm better now.)  Anyway, the whole point of this is to say that it should be time for a giveaway soon!

6) So, spin class.  The instructor said at the last class something about that we were not going to actually die.  I would have argued, but ain't nobody got breath for that! It's interesting.  I feel that I've never sweat much, but I've started taking a towel; partly because that's what everyone else does, and I like to pretend that I know what I'm doing.  But mostly because I have to have something for all the sweat!

7) I feel like I need a picture of a mouse, but I don't have one, so you'll have to settle for this instead.



Have a great weekend and head over to Jen's for more Quick Takes!

*Yeah, I really don't swear, even in my thoughts.  Not because I've made some conscious do gooder decision, but for whatever reason, I just don't.  Times like these make me wish I could swear occasionally!

16 comments:

  1. Mousessssssssssssssssssssssssssss! How I hates them.

    I do have an idea for you thanks to #7. You need to make it your goal to get a picture of a mouse for your faithful blog readers. Maybe if it is your goal to see one then they will hide. At least that is the way that it works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay. right. I do NOT do rodents, arachnids, bugs, pests, whatever you want to call them. I have told Jen many a time that I don't know if we will ever be able to meet because I cannot stand the thought of a scorpion encounter so i kind of steer clear of texas. Although, I have a sister living in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area now, so maybe I should get over it!! But really...so sorry about the mouse!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need a cat in your office. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. An office cat is an awesome idea! Personally, I vote for a Meezer since they're so smart. I don't object when the cats leave us a dead mouse as a "present," but I strongly object to living ones running around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was working at a school one day and heard loud screaming from the classroom next door (no kids at the time). The teacher had seen a mouse. Ugh. I know what you are saying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I guess you do not like the movie Ratatouille? I love that movie but I don't think I would want to see one up close in real life. Can't wit for the calendar give away :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the love of God, Kat, Ratatouille is just a movie. Trust me, I've tried it. My rats were able to make simple dishes like pancakes and chicken noodle soup, but they never got the flavors quite right. My neighbor's raccoons were far better chefs and the guy down the street with the chinchillas ate like a king every night!

      Delete
  7. oh wow! I would FLIP if there was a mouse in my office!! We had a mouse in our apartment last winter - I saw it run across our kitchen counter into the stove! (!!!!!) ugh ugh ugh. Yes that cat sounds like a stellar idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. bahhahahah! Oh I have such a funny mental picture of you and that mouse...playing it cool on the outside but freaking the heck out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post is hilarious!!! You sound like me with spiders... I did have a moment like yours last school year in my classroom EEK!!! But for some reason, mice don't bother me quite as much as the eight legged ones mentioned above ;) The only time I have ever heard my husband scream like a girl was where there was a mouse. Good Luck at work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ew ew EWWWW!!!! Oh, I am not a fan of mice, but I absolutely DESPISE spiders and LOATHE cockroaches!!!
    Why do we even need them??! I am glad you survived but I'm sure that would be pretty crazy trying to play it cool in front of a client! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am totally with you on this! Crawly things are for sure a valid reason to freak out, and it's the WORST when you can't fully express your freaking-out because you have to be professional. I am terrified of clowns, and once when I was student teaching in a pre-k class I had to sit through a very long clown act and pretend like it was perfectly fine. So. Hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy, as a man, allow me to say, "Hooray for crawly things!" Now that there aren't any dragons to slay, spiders and mice allow us to prove our valor before your lovely eyes.

      :-)

      Delete
    2. Trust me, if we had found that mouse at the time and my patient had taken care of it, he definitely would have been the hero for the day!

      Delete
  12. Hilarious!! The whole mouse incident, I'm with you, hate them, it's not so much that I'm afraid of them (or roaches and spiders), it's just that they're so gross!! #6 made me laugh too :D

    ReplyDelete