Friday, November 1, 2013

7 Quick Takes Friday

7 quick takes sm1 7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 193)

1) Wow! Has it really been a month since I've joined Quick Takes?  It looks like the answer is yes, yes it has. I guess that's what happens when you are very inconsistent with blogging.

2) I'm writing this on Halloween, which I am not celebrating at all.  I don't have any issues with Halloween, I just don't do anything to celebrate. I'm kind of like Scrooge, only whatever the Halloween equivalent is of someone that is completely lacking in holiday spirit for this particular holiday.  I do think it's interesting, though, how many people have gotten to the point that they just LOVE Halloween.  I think it can be a fun holiday, but what is the obsession?  I mean for adults.  I get why kids love costumes and candy.

3) I really need to get on the stick and write some more stuff about the chronic pain things that I have been learning.  I had someone the other day that I treated who came back and told me treatment was "life changing".  She was not being melodramatic.  That really is the case for some people.  I'm still not getting as consistent of results as I would like, but I'm going to keep working on it, because I love the fact that there may be something that can actually be done for chronic pain!

4) Guess what is now available on Amazon Prime?  Duck Dynasty.  Now, I didn't think that this show would be my cup of tea, but I was curious to watch one since it's free and now I'm hooked!  I think that there's just enough country in my family that I appreciate some of the things they talk about a little bit.  But I am also reminded that there is no redneck in my background.     I did realize that I would not make a suitable redneck wife as I do not cook or eat squirrel or frogs.

5) I have reached new territory with my weight. Not that my weight is in new territory, but that I am.  See, there was a time about 8 years ago that I was 40 pounds heavier than I am now. And then there was another 15# that wasn't very healthy, but it hung on until about 2 years ago. Today, as I write this, I am at a weight and size that I am very happy with, but I can tell you that in the last 2 years, I've been at this weight* 4 or 5 times and then about as soon as I get here, I gain at least 5 and usually more like 8 or 10 pounds. I've gained and lost those 10 pounds over and over again.  SO, the new territory is maintenance.  I think the big problem is that I get to a good place with my weight, and mentally think "Okay, this is good. I'm done."  Then I start making less than stellar food choices. And then, hello again, 10 pounds!

I have decided that I need to recognize that weight maintenance requires some work.  It is not, thankfully, as much work as losing weight, but just like I have to make conscious decisions when I need to lose weight (again), I also need to make conscious decisions about what I'm eating to maintain my happy weight.  This is obvious for most people, but it's something that I apparently need spelled out for me. I'm trying to stay here long enough to get my body to recognize this as its "set point".  You know how your body tends to try to stay a certain weight that it gets used to, and it takes some work to either gain or lose weight from that point?  That's where I want to get.

6) Sorry about the long take about my revelation about the obvious.  Let's talk about the pizza I made tonight.  YUM!  I did have to put a little cheese on it, but I used parmesan, since that tends to not bother me as much.  For the crust, I went to the gluten free bakery in town and it was a great crust.  Then I put on roasted mushrooms, sauteed onions and garlic, green pepper, a couple of grape tomatoes and Italian sausage.  After I cooked it, I added the cheese and then sprinkled some baby spinach on top of it.  If that last addition sounds gross to you, try it before you knock it.  I got the idea from a really good pizza restaurant in town and it's surprisingly tasty. It was so good!

7)

Happy Fall!

Have a great weekend and head over to Jen's for more Quick Takes!

*But the size is new! Gluten free/dairy free eating can be a pain in the butt, but it is awfully nice that when my body is happier with what I'm feeding it, it also apparently drops a few inches.

8 comments:

  1. I have learned (over and over again) about the subject of #5. I'm still trying to lose at this point, but understanding that I cannot allow myself the luxury of mindless eating for the rest of my life is key. So...we'll see how that goes. Congrats on the weight loss and maintenance!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with maintenance! That pizza sounds amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, just reading the phrase "roasted mushrooms, sauteed onions and garlic" is making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, beautiful picture!

    Long time no see! Good to catch up with you again via Quick Takes.

    Well done you on the weight loss. I completely understand those sentiments you shared, as I've recently (this year) managed to lose a little over 20kg (!) extra. I've a little way to go yet, but am still feeling pretty good. It's ALLLL about maintenance though.

    Glad that there are treatments being discovered for chronic pain! What a relief that'll be for so many people, if they work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that once paleo becomes a habit weight pretty much takes care of itself. Now that I finally went off dairy, I lost 15 so easily it was ridiculous. I wasn't trying, just not eating dairy anymore! (except butter) When your body can digest the food properly you're not dealing with constant inflammation, it just kinda ddoes its own thing.
    My husband is a nut about carving pumpkins (he does a Cylon one every year complete with led's). I love putting up cobwebs and thinking of costumes, although I never have any great ideas and I'm not very crafty. We like the excuse to throw a party :). I never got to trick-or-treat as a kid because we lived out in the country, so it's almost like I'm making up for all those years of missed childhood fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excuse me, but next time, picture of the pizza please :D Congrats on the weight loss!! I love #7.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 100% agreed on Halloween. I enjoy it in theory, but I'm not a big fan of taking part of anything Halloween-ish. I wasn't even a big fan of dressing up when I was a kid, and I certainly have no interest in it now. I really don't get what all the fuss is about. Oh well.

    Also agreed on Duck Dynasty - one of the families in town invited my roommates and I over to watch the premiere a few weeks ago, and there were some of last season's episodes on before that. It was the first time I had ever seen it, and it was surprisingly entertaining. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have gotten to the point where I really enjoy pizza without cheese! Just needs lots of yummy toppings. :) A good red sauce OR an olive oil/garlic/italian spice "sauce" (kind of makes a garlic bread) is super yummy. I usually put Italian sausage on as my main protein... lots of flavor! And then green peppers, onions, olives, etc.

    I love Halloween. Probably because my dad made a huge deal out of it. One of his favorite bedtime stories for us was "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow". Ghost stories were the norm on that side of the family. And autumn is my favorite season. So it all comes together. That said. I rarely go all out as an adult on a costume. My fave is a cowgirl costume I assembled from my real riding gear haha. And also, due to a nasty pumpkin carving accident a few years ago, I have given up pumpkin carving (which is sad because that really was one of my favorite things).

    ReplyDelete