Friday, September 6, 2013

7 Quick Takes Friday

7 quick takes sm1 7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 193)

1) I got my teeth cleaned on my day off this week. Because nothing screams "great day off" like sharp instruments in your mouth.  I was offered a numbing gel for my gums, but honestly the texture and taste of that stuff is worse for me than the cleaning. The good news is, my teeth are clean and this was a new office to me, but I'm a fan.  Loved the staff, and I'm impressed with the dentist... Which was a concern, because I know him from other stuff, and I always get a little nervous about going to acquaintances for things, because what if they stink?  Then it's awkward.  But there is no stinkage, and I'll be happy to go back (or as happy as you can be to go to the dentist, anyway.) During the visit, we finalized our climbing plans for this afternoon.  That's how I know him, from climbing (and he's very much taken, so it's only about climbing. Sheesh.)  The hygienist thinks we're all crazy (a number of our mutual climbing friends also see him).

On the way home, I decided that my teeth were so clean that I wasn't sure if I wanted to eat for the rest of the day.  Then I walked in the door to my house and started eating.

2) Next week, I have a different appointment scheduled.  This one's a massage.  It's been about 6 weeks, and I'm ready.  Looking forward to that appointment a lot more than the dental one!  Although I have to say that I'm not quite as desperate as I could be.  There've been times where I've really needed a massage because of pain/tightness/headaches. But it's not been as bad recently.  Some of the chronic pain stuff that I've been learning and using is really helping. Nonetheless, massages are still da bomb* and I can't wait.

3) Are you tired of hearing about my gluten free/dairy free stuff yet.  No worries, you're not alone.  Everyone around me is bored of it, too.  But here's what I noticed this week.  Allergies have been bad around here for a lot of people, but I've barely been bothered this time around.  It was a little bit, but you know when it was worst? When I broke my diet and had way too much cheese.  Itchy eyes and stuffy nose.  Good times. And the breathing was the worst when I had gluten.  Sometimes I wonder if I'm making this stuff up because it's not like I have anything drastic like celiac's, but the other day I was feeling some sympathy for a patient with red, watery eyes who was all stuffed up with allergies, while I marveled at how easily I was breathing, and I hadn't used the nose spray or inhaler for quite some time.

4) So my days off have been a little stressful lately.  I have so much crap to do that I start to freak out about all the stuff that must be done and there's no way to do it all and then I get overwhelmed and start playing tetris or solitaire (I'd play something cooler, like Candy Crush, but then I'd never cook or clean or any of the things that I do too infrequently already, so I limit myself to the oldies) instead of actually doing something useful.  Part of my brain knows that doing a little bit of something is better than doing all of nothing, but when I get overwhelmed, I usually pick doing nothing because I don't know what little bit to start with.  Ahem.  Anyway, what I had to do as my list mentally grew and my hours mentally shrunk was to take a deep breath, and tell myself to pick one thing.  So that's what I did.  I picked the one thing that most needed to be done, and I focused on that.  And I mostly ignored the other stuff, though I got a couple of bonus things taken care of.  But my freak out ceased, and I got something done, and I enjoyed some of the unstructured time that I need in order to function.

5) I am getting SO excited for next weekend.  I have a friend coming out and she's only been this way once in her life, so I can't wait to take her to some of my favorite places. I can't tell you how much I need some time with people that get it, and get me. I can't wait to spend some quality time with my friend, in the mountains, and hopefully we can find some aspens showing off all their fall glory.  And animals.  The place that I'm taking her has a lot of animals, so I hope they come out to play for us.  It's going to be fantastically awesome.

6) I'm seriously pumped that it's weekend again for this weekend, too.  I have hiking plans and plans to relax, and I just booked a flight next month to go visit some friends I have been missing a creepy amount. I also worked enough hours to get a little bonus on my paycheck, and I only have a little bit of catch up work to do.  Plus, I have bruised knees and slightly sore muscles from climbing the other day, and that makes me happy because I went out there and did some climbing instead of barely making an effort.  It's good when I can push myself. Ooh, and my internet's back.  I was going to finish this last take last night and post it this morning, but the internet was MIA.  Anyway, so to all of this I say, sweet.*

7) I was looking for an old post to link and as I was scrolling through some of my previous posts, I realized that this blog is lousy with mountain pictures and nothing else.  Eh, well.  Y'all are too polite to say if it's boring you, so mountain pics it is.  You're stuck with 'em.




Have a wonderful weekend, and head over to Jen's for more Quick Takes!

*Yes, I said it.  I'm really that cool.  Or that nerdy.  You decide.

4 comments:

  1. I just started playing candy crush...addicted! I also get to wrapped up in W.W.F. too. Glad to hear you like the dentist. I have a good dentist too and I just love the hygienist...she gets my gaggie self. She works with my ever so sensitive mouth and she's quick...no need for anyone to take their time when cleaning my teeth. The last dentist that took too long with the cleaning was almost wearing my lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loooove the mountain pictures! Keep them coming! And yay for some time with a friend who gets it's that is vital, in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand how you feel about #4. I feel the same way. I have so much stuff to do that when I do find some free time I don't do any of it. I have found that if I set a timer on my computer or on my phone it helps me actually do something. It is something about knowing that the timer will go off that reminds me that I should have the task completed by then. Just a little motivation. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can never get tired of your beautiful pictures!!

    ReplyDelete