Friday, August 23, 2013

7 Quick Takes Friday



1) I bought a new toy last weekend.  It makes me think I'm old that I'm this excited about something like this, but I am.  I got a Food Saver, and let me tell you, I have been Saving! All! The Food! Perhaps I just love it so much because it's not cheap, so I am obligated to love it or I am forced to admit that I overspent when I could have just bought freezer bags.  Yet, the things in my freezer that are all nicely vacuum packed look much more tempting than the things in my freezer that are covered with fuzzy ice. I may have spent an inordinate amount of time in the kitchen last weekend preparing lots of stuff, but it has been nice this week to just pull something out of the freezer and heat, rather than coming home and cooking stuff.  This is fantastic because I can cook food the way that I like it with fresh fruits and vegetables and good quality meats, rather than getting frozen meals... Let me tell you, it's hard to stay gluten and dairy free with frozen meals from the store.

Added bonus: Since I have a good way to keep things from spoiling so fast, I can get lots of different vegetables and actually use them rather than tossing them.  AND I put them in appropriate serving sizes.  Which is key, and not an advantage that I had considered.

2) Comments on blogs are the joy and bane of my existence.  On my own blog, receiving them is the joy, and crickets are the bane.  But this take is more about leaving them on other blogs.  I like to leave comments.  Sometimes, I inadvertently say something stupid, and I apologize for that.  But name one blogger who doesn't love to know that someone is reading and engaged on some level.

BUT.  Oh, people.  If it wasn't so stinking hard to leave comments!  I nearly weep tears of joy* on those blogs where I write a comment and then hit publish... and the comment publishes!  Or goes to comment moderation.  Either way, I don't care, because my work is done. I hate, detest, loathe, despise word verification.  It's been a little less overpowering recently, but what a pain in the butt.  And now wordpress commenting forms are even worse than wv!  Name, email, website.  Okay, that last one is optional, but I usually do fill it out.  Then on some you have to check a box. THEN, on one blog that I was reading that was new to me, I hit "publish" and it said that a first time commenter was "not allowed" to leave a website, and that I needed to go back and erase it, and then publish the comment.

Dude, it's your perogative to set up your comment policy whatever way you want.  I don't even really care that I can't leave my website, and I get it, because there are those people that leave one comment to let you know about their website and then never come back.  But this first time commenter became and never time commenter, because it was just one too many hoops to jump through and I was done.

Don't even get me started on my current issues with disqus.  We're in a fight and I can't leave comments even if I want to, because it apparently wants me to register, but then says that I am registered, but then it doesn't recognize me, and I'm sure there would be something that I could figure out if I tried harder, but like I said, there are only so many hoops that I will jump through in order to leave a comment!!

3) Well, that was kind of a long take.  Clearly I have spent WAY too much time thinking about this.

4) I have been giving my siblings a little bit of crap for not writing! all! the! posts! on the new blog yet.  It's their fault, really.  I'm loving the little bits that they are throwing, but I want more!  I kind of knew my brother was much more aware of current events than I am (which is practically not at all), but I was interested to read a little background of what's going on in Egypt from his perspective (as someone who is paying some attention, not as an expert). So then I had to write about rock climbing here.  Partly because I've been wanting to write about it, but I decided to post it there because I'm finding it interesting to read their stuff and thought they might be interested in some discussion and photos about rock and why I love it, since they know I do it, but it's not something we've done together.  Or they'll be bored.  Anyway, now it's linked so you can read it if you're interested.  Or not. I love that you stick around to read one blog, and I don't want you to get bored with two unless you just really want to!

5) I know there are too many exclamation points and way to much bad grammar here today.  Sorry.  Sort of.  (Honestly, if I cared that much, I would change it.) I guess that's just the kind of (poor) quality you can expect around here.

6) Still fighting the burn out around here.  It's funny.  I was doing fine, and then just a couple (seemingly smallish) things got added to the plate that was almost too full and now it's chaos.  Such is life.  Doesn't matter what stage of life you're in, it happens. I have been cutting things out right and left that are adding to the stress (if only I could do that to work!  And not even all of it; I'd be happy just to cut it back by an hour or 2 per day.)  Work is by far the worst offender in all of this.  Paperwork has been sucking my soul for months in that I rarely get it done during the day and often have to work on it in the evening, or in the morning before work, or on the weekends. Now I realized I have a lot of con ed that I need to do by December or lose my athletic training certification (I don't use it much, but it is definitely nice to have).  And I have a presentation that I need to prepare for that I'm probably over studying for, but it's really complex and fascinating stuff.  And then there's the non work related full evenings with kids climbing and I really want to help with RCIA, just so I can finally start to get more involved in my church.  And finding quality time in the mountains.  I'll hike this weekend, but I won't be able to spend all day in the mountains, which is sad.

Ugh, sorry to be such a whiner.

7) Let's liven things back up with a photo, shall we?

Apparently this is some sort of wild onion.  I just love that it looks like fireworks exploding.

Have a great weekend and head over to Jen's for more Quick Takes!

*It's possible that there may be a slight exaggeration here.


7 comments:

  1. I'm like you about the comments. I like leaving comments to let people know I'm reading, I'm liking, I have something to say. And of course I really, really love getting them :D I also like to (if I can) reply to the person who left me a comment. Great picture at the end, have a fun weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya on the comments :) - so glad to know you weep tears of joy on my site - ha!

    Also, thank-you for linking to the blog with your siblings, I'm horrible and forgot to put it in my Feedly, which means I forgot about it. That problem is solved now :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain (and joy) with #2.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah...word verification is a pain...and sometimes I can never get the word right. I don't know. Hopefully the work will lessen and you can enjoy the things in life you love. Oh yeah...I love getting comments on my blog posts too...it is nice to know someone has read your inner most thoughts, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is hard to comment, but I love perusing your website and hearing about life -- I'm sorry about the burnout, sister.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, word verification is the worst!!! I've been trying to comment more on my phone and I will get through the typing on my teeny tiny phone, then almost burst into tears when the WV window pops up. Ugh.
    I have the most permissive comment settings possible on WP - I don't know why people are so reluctant to allow anonymous comments, etc. Unless you're a giant blog with masses of visits, you'll get a few spam comments in your spam folder every couple of days, but that's about it!

    ReplyDelete