Sunday, July 21, 2013

The Yoke

Thursday, the Gospel was about where Jesus says "my yoke is easy, and my burden light."

Kind of seems to contradict "take up your cross and follow me", eh?  But the priest was telling us that "easy" might be better translated as "fits well".  That when yokes were made back in the day, that they had to be particularly fitted to each individual animal so that it would lay right and not cause bruising and rubbing.  And that typically the animals were yoked together, two at a time.

What I took away from that is that the burden can actually be a lot of hard work, but SO much easier when working with God, rather than against Him, realizing that He is carrying the other part of that load.  In my life, that has meant accepting that being single will still bring a certain amount of pain as long as it lasts, but if I accept that pain and say that it's okay as long as He works in my life, works through me however He needs to, then it's not nearly as agonizing as it has been in the past (which isn't to say there haven't been some moments in the last few weeks...)

My favorite part is the part about it "fitting well".  I had one backpack last year that I loved (because it was a really pretty color) but the way it was made did not fit me well at all.  I tried to do a long hike in it one day, and it gave me back spasms.  I had to get a different one.  The one that I have now is amazing.  The color, meh.  But it fits so well that I often say that it carries itself.  Really, with a lighter load, it's so comfortable that I barely notice.  Even with a full load for backpacking, though it doesn't carry itself, it's very doable when it's packed right.  In thinking of that, "my yoke is easy and my burden light" makes more sense to me.*

More wildflowers, because wildflowers are awesome!


~~~~~~

*Just a quick note to say that that's where I am right now. My thoughts and prayers are with a number of people that I know, either personally, or a little more remotely that are currently at a stage where there is no such thing as "light burdens" or "easy yokes", because they are dealing with crosses that currently have them face down in the dirt under a weight they can't lift.  If that is you today, know that I am praying for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment