Friday, July 12, 2013

7 Quick Takes Friday

7 quick takes sm1 7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 193)
1) Yay! Friday! I need it so much more than I usually do. I do not know what my problem is lately, but I have not been doing well about keeping up with things.  Yeah, we all get behind.  I've given up on that elusive state in which a person considers themselves "caught up".  That is probably the place where unicorns and leprechauns live, and I don't think we can get there from here.  But, I can usually keep a pretty decent work/life balance and keep my place in a state of reasonable sanity.  I mean, it's not usually "clean" per se, but usually it's clean enough to not gross me out/annoy me at every turn.  And I don't feel like I'm eating right, because I can't seem to cook, partly because I can't find time to do dishes.  And then I just say, "Screw it.  My brain is fried. I'm going to find a blog to read."  Thank you all for being accommodating and whipping out posts just for me.

2) I love blogging.  I knew that, of course, but I was reminded of that the other day.  Again.  I wrote this post the other day, and you got it.  It is very true that I cannot and should not immediately reject a chance to get to know someone just because I can't tell where he is on the faith page, nor would I be against pursuing a relationship with a guy who is pursuing a relationship with God, even if we are not currently in the same place.  But you do understand that I need someone who is either pursuing or on the verge of pursuing God and not because I want him to, but because he wants to; and while it may be fine for me to be a catalyst, it is not right for me to be the cause.  Anyway, the point is, since not all of us are currently blessed with local communities that understand the faith side of things, it's so wonderful to have the blogging community where people do understand.

3) You remember last week?  When I told you that I bit the bullet and finally ordered a big, expensive canvas?  I still have a few things to figure out...

But...


It's here! And it turned out wonderfully!! This is a little shot of the way the texture looks and the way the picture wraps around the side. I really love that for some reason.  It came a couple days sooner than I expected, and of course I tore into the package immediately.  Right at first I was a little disappointed because it looked slightly fuzzy, but then I realized that I'm a moron and that's due to the canvas texture... and didn't I order it partly for that reason? To have the texture?  Not always the brightest bulb, I tell you.

As you can see, when you look at it from a distance, rather than from an inch away as you're ripping off the packaging (and really, probably a 2 ft by 3 ft picture was meant to be viewed at a little distance!) it looks perfect. It was definitely the right photo for a canvas!
And you also get an nice view of the awesomeness that is my couch.  Hey, it may not be fancy, but it was free and it is comfortable.  Therefore, awesome.
4) Okay, the part that I still have to figure out. Where do I hang this bad boy?  I have a great wall for it in the living room, but it's behind where I typically sit.  I'd love to hang it in my bedroom, but the few times I do have guests over, we don't hang out in there.  And how do I hang it?  It has a hanger.  One teeny, tiny little thing that is supposed to hold the whole thing up. (I'm sure it will; the canvas isn't that heavy.) But I don't know if I should try to find a stud?  And the wall is plaster, so it's not the easiest to get nails into it. Eh, well.  Good problems to have.  So much better than spending all that money and then regretting it.  No regrets here!

5) I'm so excited that so many people are actually reading Light of Faith!  If you've never read an encyclical before, you should go read it.  And if you have read an encyclical before and you have therefore determined never to subject yourself to that torture again, go read this one.  JPII was amazing, and so were his encyclicals, but they were dang near impossible to read.  This one is very easy to read, and it is beautiful and wonderful and many good things.

6) I think a couple more quotes, yes?

One:

Faith understands that something so apparently ephemeral and fleeting as a word, when spoken by God who is fidelity becomes absolutely certain and unshakeable, guaranteeing the continuity of our journey through history.  Faith accepts this word as solid rock upon which we can build, a straight highway by which we can travel. ...As St. Augustine explains: "Man is faithful when he believes in God and his promises; God is faithful when he grants to man what he has promised".

Two:

Faith is not a light which scatters all our darkness, but a lamp which guides our steps in the night and suffices for the journey.

Three:

Faith is also a knowledge bound to the passage of time, for words take time to be pronounced, and it is a knowledge assimilated only along a journey of discipleship. 
I love it.  I love it all, and I need to reread it.

7) I'm not sure if I'll find them this weekend or not (or even if I'll be able to get out at all; the forecasts are not at all promising- but if there's rain, I refuse to complain), but I hope to see some of these guys:

Columbines are my favorite!
Have a wonderful weekend and head on over to Jen's for more Quick Takes!

9 comments:

  1. LOVE the canvas!!!

    I hope you find some Columbines this weekend too - because that means more photos of them :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for #5. I have read parts of encyclicals before and have found the beautiful but have struggled to get through them which is why I have been hesitant to read this one but I think you have motivated me to give it a try. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's all so beautiful, the pictures and the prose. Now I've got to go find this Light of Faith you speak of ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing photo!! How will you ever get anything done at home now, with all that beauty to look at!?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That picture was the perfect one to choose, it looks amazing! I need to read that encyclical after I read the one I am reading for book club. So far all the quotes I have read from it are so beautiful and spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the canvas. Well done!
    Good luck this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The canvas looks amazing! I've always wanted to order one, but then could never just decide on 1 picture. Yay to you for taking the plunge and ordering!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! That canvas is amazing! How fun to have something like that to brighten up your home a little bit more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm enjoying catching up on your posts. The canvas turned out great!!!

    ReplyDelete