Sunday, June 9, 2013

WIWS and Other Stories

What I Wore Sunday linkup
I had so much fun the other week joining up with the ladies at FLAP that I thought I'd join up again.  There is no way this will be a weekly thing for me.  As many of you saw on fb, the week after the first photo, I was visiting my family and wore the exact same outfit the next week to church.  Hey, it was new to them.  My point being that there are a lot of repeats in my outfits, and some outfits aren't much to write home about on the first peat.  So, I'll join up here and there when I can. I will say that one of the reasons that I like this meme is that it gives us all an excuse to make Sunday a little special in terms of what we're wearing and doing.  The last couple of weeks have emphasized for me that a lot of people ignore any hint that Sunday is a day for anything besides continuing their crazy schedules.  For some of us, there is still more to it than that.

The good news about not joining up every week is that I don't have to go through the ordeal of trying to get a self portrait every week!  Good grief, what a pain!  This one is an especially lovely torso shot because I didn't get my feet in the first few pictures, and then the pictures kept getting worse instead of better and I eventually had to throw in the towel.  For the feet, just imagine flat feet in fairly plain brown flip flops.

Okay, so here it is.

For extra creepiness, cut off both the head AND the feet.
I think the sweater and the skirt are from Anne Taylor Loft and the shirt is from New York and Company.

Now, I was disappointed that the feet wouldn't show (but not disappointed enough to keep going with the self portrait madness), because we need to have a discussion about the footwear.  I figured that wedges would have looked cute with this outfit, but when I went to pull out my wedges, I couldn't find them anywhere.  Who even knows what happened to them?  The point of all this being is that I do like cute shoes, but maybe not as much as the next girl.  Which is not to say that I don't care about shoes, but my primary concerns seem to run a little different direction. 

Here's what I mean.

In which I prove that hiking shoes can be water shoes, too, provided you walk in the water with them.
Both hiking shoes and hiking boots are a big part of my footwear wardrobe.  And, yes, I have a pair of each.  The shoes are more comfortable and are great for shorter, lower hikes while the boots are more necessary for higher altitudes, longer treks, rockier terrain and the possibility of snow.

Yay, pink!
These are my newest acquisition.  I haven't had new running shoes in 5-7 years.  Yes, I know that's horrible for your feet to run in old shoes, but no worries!  I didn't actually run in them most of the time.  As soon as I decided that maybe I would like to to a little more running, I got new shoes.  Wanna hear a story about these shoes? (Probably not, but if you made it this far, you may be bored enough to continue anyway.) I wanted to try more of the minimalist approach, but I have very flat feet, y'all.  Plus, we're throwing an attempt to get back to a mild amount of running while pushing my feet to something new and different.  I would like to decrease my knee pain while running, not add to it.  And that is a definite risk when dealing with shoes that have decreased support.

So, I prayed before I shopped.  Yes, about shoes.  I don't mind spending some money for a decent pair, but I don't want to spend money for a good pair of shoes that are horrible for my feet.  I went to the running store and explained exactly my dilemma, and they thought I should try this in between shoe. It has more support than some, but still is moving toward the minimalist construction.  This was the first shoe he pointed out, and I knew it was the one for me because, hello! Pink.  Not that I would tend to say that I am a "pink" person, but maybe I am because I saw them and I loved them.  Then I bought them, and I wore them, and it seems to be good.  I will say that after wearing these for a few hours and then changing into my hiking shoes, I could definitely notice the increased impact on my body with the regular shoes.

Then of course there are these.

No idea why my friend took a picture of my feet in this case, but it works for this post!
I love my rock shoes! Now, it is true that rock shoes are not really made for standing on a rock like this, but I remember that I was having a heck of a time getting off the ground in this situation.  Anyway, I love my rock shoes.  They are for climbing, and it hurts to walk in them, but they're great when you're on the wall.

All this to explain that when I say I don't care about shoes, what I mean is that I don't care (that much) about cute shoes that also hurt my feet.  But there are definitely shoes that I care about!

Okay, that's more than you wanted to know about my clothing and footwear. So let's talk about food.  As much as it's a pain to cook and plan for eating well, I'm LOVING the results.  It's so worth it in how I feel, and it only took me a week and a half to recover on the scale from my trip back to the Midwest.  That's way better than a month and a half, like usual!  And it tastes good, too.  Breakfast today was banana walnut pancakes and bacon (bacon often makes an appearance).  I would have taken a picture, but 1) there wasn't much to see and 2) I was eating it all too fast.

Can I just say I'm so glad it's Sunday?  I have needed a rest day for a couple of weeks, and my Sundays kept getting filled up.  Today has been so lovely and restful.  Yesterday was fun, too.  Went out camping with some friends and realized that I may come to like camping yet.  Especially when it's combined with spectacular views, beautiful wildflowers and some fun on the rocks.

I wanted to do more of an update about what I've been up to the last couple of weeks, but I'm going to forego that so that I can head to Adoration for a bit.  I haven't had much time for that in the last little bit either, and I need it, and there are a lot of people that I am praying for.  I will also be praying for anyone who happens to stop by and read this post.  This means you!

I agree, there should be a few more photos to finish this up.

Just two of the many, many varieties of wildflowers in bloom this weekend.  I love spring/summer!

Not a bad view out your back door; almost worth the fact that the back door is a zippered flap.

Oh, yeah! Putting the rock shoes to good use!




4 comments:

  1. I really like your outfit, I really liked the one on your first WIWS but I forgot to comment :( I know what you mean about taking the self portraits so I just stand in front of the mirror and hold the camera in front of my face :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a smarter way to do it, for sure. I actually don't have a full length mirror, so I haven't been able to do it that way.

      Delete
  2. Love your outfit!

    I was stunned how a good pair of custom orthodics got rid of my knee pain (The Man's job in a rehab/fitness/PT place comes in handy a lot :)). Hope the shoes do the trick - and yes, I'm not usually a fan of pink, but those are some nice shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute outfit! I love the shoes, too :) I'm a big fan of good shoes and don't put anything on my feet that isn't comfortable anymore. Makes me want to move west and hike :)

    ReplyDelete