Friday, June 14, 2013

7 Quick Takes Friday: Obsession Edition

7 quick takes sm1 7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 193)
Many of you know that there is stuff going on here, but there is stuff going on everywhere.  I choose to avoid the stuff for this post and focus on my current mundane and inane obsessions instead.

1) I'm sort of becoming that annoying health nut.  I mean, it's been a long slow process and I was not overly healthy there for a while, so I didn't recognize it.  But I am currently obsessed with whole foods. Not the grocery store chain, but the kinds of foods that you buy that don't have all the ingredients and nutrient labels because they are an apple or a hunk of meat.  Those things that do have ingredient lists are the ones that I only want to see a couple of ingredients.  It is to the point that I walk up and down the aisles of a grocery store and see few things that appeal to me as something that I would want to eat. Obnoxious?  Yes, most definitely.  But the way that I feel when I eat this way reinforces the behavior.  Also the scale reinforces the behavior.

2) Bacon.  Yep.  I know it's not the first thing that we all think of when we think of healthy eating.  In fact, I do not claim that it is healthy. Nor do I claim to be consistent.  All I can tell you is that I am obsessed with it and loving it and I don't feel crappy when I eat it, so I probably won't stop right away.  Of course, because of #1 it has to be all preservative free and nitrate free.

3) Because of the stuff going on, I turned to comfort food earlier this week.  The junk foods of choice? Sweet potato chips and a couple of peanut butter chocolate chip La.rabar (which is a fruit and nut bar).  All organic, of course.  I got it home and shook my head because it's neither respectable junk food nor health food.  It was good, though.  And it's better than other things that I could be stress eating.

4) Pine nuts.  Oh my goodness.  I have never had these before and they are so amazing.  They are expensive and they are fatty (17g of fat per ounce!), but they are SO tasty.  I toast them up in a dry skillet and then eat them on greens with a bit of raspberry vinaigrette. YUM!  Of course, I try to use them sparingly both due to economic and calorie cost.

5) Freezing blended fruits.  It's so nice to have something cold to eat when it's hot.  I like to throw some berries and a banana in the blender along with a bit of baby spinach and freeze it.  My new and most dangerous one is bananas with cocoa and almond butter.

So, let's see.  I think I'm being healthy, but I'm obsessed with fatty and sweet things.  I mean, that much fruit is a LOT of sugar, even though it's the kind I'm okay with (no processed sugar or added sugar).  I guess that makes me an extra obnoxious health nut as I am also hypocritical.

6) I am obsessed with other things besides food.  I am also obsessed with Parks and Recreation right now.  It cracks me up! The Chris guy?  (I think that's his name, the one played by Rob Lowe. ) Cracks me up, and totally the kind of obnoxious health nut that I'm talking about.

7) Okay, you've made it through that most boring of QT's, so I feel that I should see if I can find a picture rather than subject you to another take.

Sunrise; also an obsession for me.

There you go.  Have a great one and head over to Jen's for more (and better!) QT's!

8 comments:

  1. Love sweet potato fries, and sort-of by definition whatever brings you comfort is comfort food.
    Beautiful picture! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have real bacon crumbs that come in a bag?

    I put them on everything, from eggs to a baked potato.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on the whole foods thing. I've read a lot about how plenty of those chemicals and additives are put in processes food because they make us crave food and even gain weight quicker- so we'll buy more processed food! When I eat primarily whole foods, I can eat EVERYTHING (fatty stuff too) without counting calories and never gain weight. So worth being a nutritional geek!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love putting spinach in my smoothies and frozen treats too, I can't even taste it but it balances out all the sugar from the fruit for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, #1 I am almost the opposite of that, #2 my husband is also obsessed with bacon, me not so much, #5 must definitely try cause it sounds yummy and lovely picture...not boring at all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. For me, eating real food, quality meats, homecooked, etc. is an absolute necessity if I want to be able to function like a normal human being. It's absolutely amazing how good I feel eating paleo. It's hard when my mom and husband aren't interested (my mom just sabotages me unintentionally, I think to make herself feel better about making some poor choices, but my hubby is so not interested in changing his diet, although he will eat what I cook with no complaints (how's that for a run-on sentence, yikes!)), because I find myself eating things that I don't actually want to eat, then feeling poorly afterward.
    Lately, instead of caving and buying a pint of Ben & Jerry's, I've been frying up some plantains in coconut oil...yum! The less sugar I eat, the less I crave it. Win win.
    One thing that's helpful is to make sure is to get fat with any fruit to keep your blood sugar from rising too fast and crashing. In the past I'd do cheese and apples (or almond butter). Coconut milk or coconut oil in with your fruit smoothies would do the same trick :).
    I really need to catch up with Parks & Rec! I watched it a couple years ago on Netflix until the episodes ran out - I'm assuming they have more now?
    Hope things calm down in your neck of the woods!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pine nuts are so good! And Parks & Rec is such a funny show - I never really got into it, but I watched the last few episodes this season and I really want to start from the beginning now.

    Also, your sunrise pictures always make me wish I were more of a morning person. I really do love early morning, but the waking up to experience it is not so much fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dh and I have a juicer and will have juice filled with lovely fruits and veggies about 2-3 times/week. We think it's pretty tasty and we feel good after having it. You def. couldn't call us health nuts though...we had BACON WAFFLES for breakfast this morning and I don't regret it in the slightest...and yes they were amazing! Good for you for trying to eat healthy, sounds like even your splurges are healthier than most ;) Gorgeous sunrise by the way!! That's an obsession I share ...pretty sure I have taken a zillion sunset/sunrise pics over the years.

    ReplyDelete