Saturday, April 20, 2013

7 Quick Takes

7 quick takes sm1 7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 193)
1) I wish there were the right words to say, the right feelings to feel, the right things to do to make things better.  But there are not.  And so I will pray, and I will do my best to love those in my life to the fullest of my ability and to live my life to the greatest extent that I can.

2) With that in mind, I went for a hike today with a friend.  We couldn't find the beginning of the "trail" we wanted (because it was supposed to have a good view).  So we had to go to a different trail for that particular peak, which was in the trees. Then when we got our packs out, I found that my water had leaked all over my pack.  And I took my inhaler, but still found myself struggling on a gentle slope (the whole thing was pretty flat).

And... The hike was almost perfect.  I needed to be outside in the mountains, and none of the rest mattered.  The first "trail" would have been a lot of tiring bushwhacking, and the second was along a 4WD road that at least gave us a trail.  I don't know what was up with having a hard time with hiking, but eventually it got a little better and I was able to even do part of the work for breaking the trail with snowshoes.  The trees opened up at several points to allow us some views.  At one point, there was one of those perfect moments that I wanted to soak up forever.  The sun was shining on us, we could see blue sky in some places, puffy clouds in others, dark storm clouds rolling in the snow in yet another place, and we could see snow covered peaks in the distance.  I don't even know the best way to describe it.  It was just one of those moments that felt perfect.

3) I also got a chance to talk with my friend on the way back about God and religion and stuff.  I barely know where it started, but I carried on long enough to surprise my friend with my enthusiasm for the subject and my ability to go on and on about it (you, my friends, have been reading here for too long; no way would you have found it surprising). It was interesting.  This person is at a crossroads and could use some prayers.  There does seem to be a hunger there, but it needs some stirring up.  However, it could lead to some difficult personal issues if they pursue it a little more due to people in their life that are very anti-religion and apathetic toward God. Normally, when getting in these discussions, I find myself listening for and quickly hearing the cue that it's time to be quiet now.  This time I just kept talking.  And have no idea why I took the topics I did.  A couple of times I almost stopped but almost felt like I should keep going.  Yikes!  Hope God had a plan with all of that and it wasn't just me running my mouth!

4) I know a lot of you either participate in or are familiar with the What I Wore Sunday series.  I have not participated ever for several reasons, but the primary one is that I don't have any outfits that I feel would be particularly exciting to share.  Until now.  And one of the reasons that I have this one is because seeing all of your various outfits gave me a couple of ideas the last time that I was out shopping.  Only... I won't actually share it because I won't be wearing it this weekend.  It's a spring/summer outfit and it's apparently still winter here.  Thank goodness, since we need whatever moisture wants to come!  I can't for Spring, but I also remember how stinking hot it was this time last year, and how horribly hot it was all summer; I am so okay if things are cooler throughout the summer this year!

5) I feel like I have been learning a lot in my professional life right now.  So. Much. Stuff.  One of the things that is the most interesting is the interplay of the mind and the body.  Now, most of us know that there are significant connections, but I am talking about learning about the specific mechanisms of how some of that works. I'm hoping that it will help me with my chronic pain patients as I figure it out better.  Did you know that a lot of people with chronic pain also have problems with IBS, anxiety, insomnia, depression, etc. along with multiple sites of pain?  I knew it, but didn't know what to do about it.  But that's another piece of all of this along with how various life traumas play a role in chronic pain (trauma being defined as a negative life event that happens, particularly when we are helpless to do anything about it; it can be anything from job loss and financial instability, to divorce, to injuries/accidents, to losses of loved ones and many other things). Reading this particular take, you are probably finding a simple cure for insomnia right now!  I'll let you know if I figure out other (less boring) answers.

6) Hmm, I'm getting tired.

7) So I guess I'll go to bed.  Head over to Grace's for way more QT's!

8 comments:

  1. Hey Saturday Quick Take Slacker sister! :) I enjoy reading about your hikes and can commiserate about the weather - we are still having wacky late April snowstorms as well. But we don't have the scenic backdrop of the mountains - so I think I still would rather be where you are! I can't wait to see that WIWS outfit. You are a much braver woman than me - it would be a cold day in H##L before I think I would have the guts to participate! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally slacking... only 5 takes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a great hike and a chance to share your faith.
    Looking forward to seeing the outfit this summer, am getting braver myself about participating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love #1 and #2 for that perfect moment you had :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Man is always talking about the body and mind are connected. I admit to usually half-listening, but I do know enough that he would have similar observations to report.

    Sounds like a great hike - on lots of counts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm SO glad that you were able to connect with your friend on a spiritual level!
    I look forward to seeing what you post for WIWS! I sure take style tips from here on the blogs and WISH FOR SPRING too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've done that before - just kept prattling on because a friend doesn't give any indication she wants me to stop. You always wonder, sure, if you put your foot in your mouth or if your words were heard in the manner they were intended. Hope it ends up being fruitful for her!
    My mom went through so much trauma physically and emotionally for so many years - there is definitely a mind/body connection with her fibromyalgia. We've done so much toward correcting her diet, getting her proper medical care, etc, but I think the biggest change for her has been getting her out of her isolation. Waking up to her grandson's smiling face every day does wonders for helping her deal with pain :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, and thanks for changing your RSS feed from partial to full! You're awesome :).

    ReplyDelete