Monday, February 11, 2013

One Way to Wake Up on a Monday!

So, I usually don't check the news, but today I did, and what do I find?

Papa Ben is resigning?!?!?!

I don't really know what to think.  I have so much respect for him, and I am sure that he would not do so if he did not feel after much prayer and consideration that this was best for the Church.  In the last few months he has apparently been feeling much more infirm.  He is 85, although I think he looks great for 85, but obviously there are a lot of demands and looking great is not the same as being able to appropriately take care of all the duties of the papacy.

That being said, I texted a couple of my friends this morning and mentioned that I felt like my dad just said he was too old to be my dad anymore and was stepping down from the position.

There are a lot of great candidates out there, so I'm not so worried about the future, just shocked and blown away at the moment. I can't believe we'll have a different pope by Easter! Crazy!

I will definitely be praying for Papa Ben in the last few days of his papacy and for the Cardinals and they face the task of electing a new pope, and for the new pope and the challenges he will face.  I guess Lent is a good time for all this to happen, since we're all more focused on prayer already!

I do almost feel sorry for all of those that will think that this is the time to elect a new pope that will be ready "change with the times", since they don't realize that many of the things that they want changed about the Catholic Church are not things that the pope has the authority to change.  No, sorry. STILL not going to happen.

9 comments:

  1. Same thing happened to me. I felt shocked at first but then I realized that he knows what is best and wouldn´t want to stay in the Papacy while being able to fully perform his duties which would mean others would be making decisions in his name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my husband told me this morning, I was very sure he misunderstood, the news source. Shocking..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was shocked, but, to be perfectly honest, I wasn't very thrilled with him. How could he possibly compare to JPII?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate to your shock--It kind of feels like my grandpa has died. I hope and pray God will protect him for the rest of his life. I know that the Lord will not leave us alone, though, and I look forward to when we can all shout out, "habemus papam!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everything you just wrote! I was shocked, know there's other great options for pope, trust the Holy Spirit will guide the next pope's election and know that the things people want to see changed are not within the pope's control.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was shocked as well, but I love both him and JPII was AWESOME, so hopefully this next one will be just as great as these 2. I can't wait to watch all the coverage of the conclave. So exciting!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I felt like my dad just said he was too old to be my dad anymore and was stepping down from the position."

    I hadn't been able to put it quite so succinctly, but YES. This is definitely how I felt when I first heard it. It's so weird, but boy, if anyone deserves some time to relax, it's Pope Benedict! I'm certainly sad to see him go, but I know the Church isn't him in and of himself, and God's got another great leader coming along for his Bride!

    ReplyDelete