Saturday, January 26, 2013

A Little Help, Please

I have a friend that has never once shown the slightest interest in anything remotely spiritual/religious. Today she admitted that she wanted to look for more answers.  Which is why she was going to go to a pag.an meet up group.  She tells me this with the preface "Don't be mad at me..."

I do have mixed feelings.  On the one hand, I don't want her to get all tangled up in p.aga.nism.  On the other hand, she's starting a process of seeking, which is fantastic!  I told her that I wouldn't get angry about that, because I think it's awesome that she's looking for answers and I respect her search.  I didn't tell her that I would be praying for her, but I will be.  One of the things that she is searching for is her roots (Celtic).  So I started by asking St. Patrick to pray for her. (And a couple hours later, she told me she changed her mind about going to the meet up group. I think she's still looking into that religion, but just not sure about that group.)

Anyway, if anyone knows any good prayers/novenas/patron saints to pray for her while she's on this journey, let me know!  And for my non-Catholic readers, I do very much pray to Jesus in my own words, but I like to ask as many people as possible with something like this, especially with my imperfections about figuring out how to pray the right way.  Any prayers you guys can spare, too, would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

11 comments:

  1. St. Brigid of Ireland, pray for us! I don't have any advice but I will pray :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have started praying a lot to St. Monica - St. Augustine's mom - I think she is a patron saint for things along this line. I will pray for your friend too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. St. Augustine - amazing convert! St. Elizabeth Ann Seton - another awesome convert! Another vote for St. Brigid and St. Patrick, along with St. Boniface. I wrote a post about St. Boniface and how he specifically took on some pagans worshipping a Norse God - pretty cool story (link below). A book that came to mind about seeking that I read about 10 years ago but have been thinking about rereading is called a Memory for Wonders by Mother Mary Francis (awesome, awesome book) - also linked below. True story!

    I will add your friend to my prayers as well!


    http://joybeyondthecross.blogspot.com/2012/10/day-3-st-boniface-and-st-hildegard-of_9931.html

    http://www.amazon.com/Memory-Wonders-True-Story/dp/0898704308/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1359254994&sr=8-2&keywords=A+Memory+For+Wonders

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would second St. Monica (mother of St. Augustine) & St. Augustine. I'm excited for your friend to pursue religion & it sounds like she trusts you, as she comes to you ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. No new saint suggestions (Brigid, Monica), but will also be praying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As Joy, I've got no new suggestions, but I will be praying!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ditto Joy and Rebecca, I'll be praying!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely St. Monica & St. Augustine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will offer prayers for your friend. Wow, really amazing when nonreligious people want to take a step forward.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wowza. you know, i had a friend from high school do this same thing...start looking for answers in paganism? granted, i lived a thousand miles away, hadn't seen her in years, and had just started looking into catholicism, but man, was I confused! years later she's moved to my parents hometown and i am excited to see what God has in store for our lives yet...will be praying for her.

    ReplyDelete