Saturday, December 29, 2012

Bible Study, Anyone?

Okay, so in 2012, I was trying to read the Bible in a year chronologically.  I got behind (shocker), but as the year is coming to a close, I'm close enough to the end to start thinking about the next thing.  I'm still going to finish reading the Bible, because I'm this close, but after that, I'm ready for something else. Bring it.

I need a Bible study.  One that I can do with other people.  Now, I need to find one around here (and I'll keep looking for that, RA!), but I also thought it might be fun to see if anyone wanted to do a virtual Bible study. Here's my thought. Last year (and the first part of next year) have been about reading several chapters at a time and trying to gain some sort of a big picture view.  What I want to do now is choose one book of the Bible and dig in deep. I'm leaning toward Matthew, because there are a lot of Old Testament connections, and I'm loving seeing how the New Testament fulfills the Old, and how the New Testament is hidden in the Old Testament.

I have been playing around with several ideas of how to do this, but I guess it depends on what people want to do (if anyone wants to do it at all!) One thing that I'm pretty stuck on is that I want to do 1-2 chapters every other week.  I'm sort of thinking 2 chapters, but definitely every other week.  Again, at this point, I'm just hoping at least one other person will want to do it with me and we can work out the particulars then.

I do have a few other half formed thoughts, but I didn't want to put too much time in it unless there was a little interest.  Depending on what people want to do, we could either just read from whatever Bible was handy.  Or we could get a book that was the same (like this one) that has quite a bit of commentary and study notes, etc, and go based off it.  Or we could try to find a separate book about the Gospel of Matthew to read along with reading Matthew.  Or we could study a different book of the Bible entirely (though I hope you want New Testament, because I have two new versions of the New Testament with commentary and stuff that I really want to dig into!)

If you think you might be interested, there are a couple of things that I would ask.  No, just one.  I would really like to have some commitment to participating, both in the reading and discussion of it. That's why I really want to stick with every other week discussions and just 1-2 chapters that we're reading. I want to keep it easy to participate with busy lives going on, so that it's not too overwhelming for anyone that wants to join in.

As far as discussion, we can also do that however people want to do.  I was thinking that not everyone would have to write a whole post every 2 weeks (though you are certainly welcome to!), but I would want people to write at least a short comment on a post about what they've read or learned or how it's speaking to them in their lives that week. As far as posting, I figured we could maybe use my (poor, neglected) Bible study blog and I could add all people that are participating as authors so you could post if you wanted to.  Or, if everyone has blogs, we could take turns hosting the discussion, or we could to a link up.

Okay, most of this is just brainstorming, and is open for suggestions.  What I really want to know is if anyone is interested in doing some Bible study with me!  I really only need one other person to make it worth it for me, but of course I would love to have a lot more than that if there's interest. I do know that it would likely be middle of January before I would be ready to start.

All right, here's the scary part.  I now have to hit the publish button and hope that at least one person wants to play with me, or this is going to be a sad, sad post.

18 comments:

  1. I love this idea...what about using a FB group to facilitate the conversation. People with lots to say could create a document in the group and then conversation threads can just go from there.

    Regardless, count me in :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be very interested in participating. I was planning to do the Bible in a Year for 2013, but I think that could pair well with a strong focus on one particular book within the bible. Since we won't be having a verbal discussion, I think I'd lean toward using a book with commentary included so I can mull on that while I read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! I'd love to have you join us. Can you send me an email at catholicmutt(at)gmail(dot)com?

      Delete
  3. I would be interested! I like Rebecca's idea about the FB group, the blog works too. I think new testament would be good, I like the gospel of Matthew or John.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds awesome! I would be interested for sure! I like the Facebook group idea. That would probably be the most convenient way for me to participate! I like the idea of doing a study on Matthew. Mr. Amen and I are doing a year long "praying with saint Luke's gospel" daily reflection devotional in 2013, but I would like to do a Mathew study with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Count me in! I tried to do your other one but, I over committed. This is much more doable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to play! I think this would be a great way to really dig deep into one part of the Bible as opposed to just reading it to get it read before moving on to the next thing. This is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neat! I'll have to pass this time (I just signed up for a Bible study at church and don't want to overcommit) but I hope it goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes yes yes yes please! I was going to join a study at work but they meet when I have another weekly meeting. I'm excited! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great idea! Even with the every-other-week format, I am not sure I would be able to keep up ... I'm thinking I need to let go of my blog (or at least feeling guilty for not writing in it) ... so I'm not sure I can make it into the sandbox, though I'd really like to. At the least I can pray for all of you who are participating.

    Joyful Christmas and a blessed 2013 CM!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to join you all! I need something like this to keep me accountable :) Great Idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Can you email me at catholicmutt(at)gmail(dot)com?

      Delete
  11. I'm finally commenting now, but I love this idea you had. I don't think this is the year for me to take on more new things since I'm already feeling overwhelmed, but I'm praying for you and all that will participate. I love how God is glorified and our faith increases through faithful bloggers like you!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd like to join, too. I'm currently doing the CSS study of John, so I look forward to being able to compare the two Gospels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete