1) I have to admit, for all my complaining about how quiet my Decembers can be, this one is great. I'm loving that it's quiet. I'll have some time to be harried and stressed like the rest of the world on Christmas itself, but I am loving some extra relaxation! Even the sad lack of exercise has been somewhat relaxing (and seems to be coming to an end soon, yay!)
2) I did not do QT's last week because my computer had to go into the shop for a little repair. Now, mostly I signed it up for the spring cleaning... You know, delete cookies on the hard drive (or whatever) and also get rid of the cookie crumbs in my keyboard. I also told them about this weird thing going on that results in my periodically losing paragraphs that I just typed. It was hard to hand over my computer, but in less than 24 hours, it was back, and it was all clean and shiny. But guess what. They didn't fix my biggest problem! Argh! Now I have to take it back and they want to charge you $45 just for looking at it! I'll be emailing them. Hopefully they'll not charge me since I just had it in and asked them to look at that particular problem. Well, obviously I'll have to pay if there's a significant repair needed, but you know what I mean. I don't want to pay another $45 dollars for them to look at what might be going on, even if I don't decide to get it fixed. (If it's too expensive, I'd get a different computer.)
3) So, I was printing out some reports at work. By some weird glitch, they did not have my signature on them like they're supposed to and like they typically do. I re-printed one, and my signature magically appeared. The second one didn't work no matter what I tried. I wasn't quite sure what to do because the report needed a signature and I couldn't figure out where the glitch was in the printing. Fortunately, the answer was only a few seconds in coming (but unfortunately, it wasn't instantaneous). I grabbed a pen and signed the paper. Yeah. Really had to think outside the box for that one.
4) Since we're on electronic fun, let's discuss what happened with my kin.dle the other day. I have read several books on there, so I recently got a new one. Only this was a popular novel and all of a sudden I was introduced to a brand new feature: popular highlights. For real?! I hate, hate, hate reading books with other peoples' markings, especially other people I don't know. When I got used books in college, I searched high and low for books that were not all marked up. It interrupts the flow of reading. It distracts me. The only reason I've highlighted in my own ki.ndle books is because I can erase it later if it annoys me. You're telling me that I just bought a brand new book, and I have to read hundreds of other peoples' markings? Yuck! And it's a novel! Highlights are something that I use for reference as I'm trying to understand something or if I need to come back to it. When is that ever the case in a novel?! It took me 20 minutes of sorting through forums (and reading about crazy people who actually wanted that feature on) before I finally got it turned off and could read my now-clean copy of the book. Seriously, I might have had to stop reading if I couldn't resolve the problem.
5) Speaking of books, I just found one that discusses Judaism and how a lot of our thought processes and customs come either directly from Judaism, or from parallel thought processes. Like how the zuchetta (a word I totally didn't know before, but is the "beanie" worn by the pope, cardinals, and bishops) is not a yarmulke, but both are worn because a head covering shows servanthood, and they are professing servanthood to God. And do you know why the zuchetta is taken off during the consecration at the Mass? Because in that moment they are acting in the person of Christ. Cool stuff, huh?
6) Okay, in the interest of full disclosure, I have to tell you that the night that I published this, right before I went to bed I was standing in front of my toilet, yelling at it. Apparently my mellow "whatever" place does not extend to toilets that are misbehaving (I guess we all have our limits?). After I had exhausted my extensive knowledge of what to do with a toilet that won't stop running (I jiggled the handle), I resorted to yelling at it. Very helpful, I must say. Luckily, it did stop running shortly thereafter. I was starting to think that I was going to have to lift the top off and maybe touch something inside. Very not okay options! (Hence, the yelling.)
7) I am currently unable to publish new pictures on my blog. Which is really annoying. BUT, there is still a calendar giveaway going on, and the calendar has pictures, so go ahead and sign up if you're interested! I just got them, and I'm really excited about how they turned out! Except for April. I apologize for April. It was kind of a stormy picture (April showers, ya know?) and it turned out too dark when it was printed, IMO. But the rest of the pictures turned out great!
You know what? A fair number of the calendar pictures are already on the blog, so here's a peek:
There are at least two more mountain views, an arch, a river, and a ghost town for some of the rest of the pictures. And, of course, a too dark picture of a storm (but you can still see the hail clouds, so all is not totally lost).
So, here for the calendar (and as soon as I get a chance to go to the post office, I'll be ending the giveaway so I can get it in the mail; but I'll leave it open at least until Sunday evening). And here to go to Jen's for more Quick Takes! Have a great weekend!!