Sunday, October 7, 2012

Why Scandal Doesn't Make Me Leave the Catholic Church

scan*dal  | 'skandl |
noun
1. a disgraceful or discreditable action, circumstance, etc.
2. an offense caused by fault or misdeed.
3. a person whose conduct brings disgrace or offense.


Friends, I am a member of the Catholic Church.  For me, it is a beautiful thing to be a Catholic. Unfortunately, for many the Catholic Church leaves a sour taste in their mouths.  They find themselves unable to become Catholic or remain in the Catholic Church because they or someone they know has been treated badly there.

It's no secret that there has been serious sexual abuse happening in the Church and among the clergy.

Perhaps the deacon is having an affair.

Or maybe businessman who has to be sure that he is in Mass every Sunday is cheating his customers.

Nuns teaching "God is love" in the Catholic schools don't always show students that they are loved.

And I'm sure that every single one of us has run into someone that is insistent on fulfilling every little religious rule that they can find, while managing to remain a singularly nasty person.

For some, it proves that if such nasty people can be Catholic, then maybe the Catholic Church is not the place to be. While I never condone such actions (and believe that we need to take every effort to punish crimes and protect people from further harm where crimes are being committed), I find that I am okay with sharing the pews with a whole lot of people that are falling short.

Sinners in the Catholic Church?

Perfect.  It means there's room for me.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this.. we are amid a newly announced scandal.. & I have class tomorrow with 8th graders & I'm sure it will come up.. This is helping me prepare to talk to them about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re: Your comment on my blog: I've said it before, but I so respect that you all who actively following Humana Vitae are consistent with your belief and practice! I also appreciate that you're still respectful of the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought we were removed from scandal out here in little 'ol po-dunk KS, but a few months ago, one of our priests was accused of a scandalous action. Of course, it is a he-said, she-said kind of deal, but it really brings home that bad things can happen within a good and holy Church.
    I really like your comment about sharing the pews with others falling short. AMEN!

    ReplyDelete