Sunday, October 14, 2012

Poor in Spirit

I never exactly understood what it meant to be "poor in spirit".  The Bible talks about it as if it were a good thing, but I never really understood it.  Being "poor" in anything never seemed like something to aspire to.

I was thinking about it today with the Gospel reading and the way that the rich man went away sad, because Christ told him to give up all his possessions. It occurred to me that being "poor in spirit" is the holy way of saying "whatever".  Perhaps it means having money like Katharine Drexel, but being willing to live as though you do not.  I don't think the rich man was heading the wrong direction because he was rich.  But when given the choice between God and his money, he walked away from God.  Maybe being poor in spirit just means that no matter what, if there is something standing between us and Christ, we choose Christ.  Not because what we want is bad, but because Christ is worth infinitely more. Another way of looking at it is the way St. Francis de Sales wrote about in the letter in this post (about halfway down).

Thanks so much to JBTC for sharing her knowledge on the saints!

*******

A few other random thoughts.  One is that I think that mountain air does something to me that makes me a little crazy.  I'm happy out there if there's rain, sun, snow, or fog.  It's all beautiful! (High winds are about the only thing that I truly hate.)  You can even read here about how it converted me to backpacking, which I thought was not going to happen. Yesterday I was happy about some remaining fall color, some snow (I got to make a snow angel!) and then sun and blue skies!  We did an 11 mile hike, and when we were done my feet hurt and it felt wonderful! (See, I told you the mountain air is like crack!)

This just in, the super glue didn't work. I know you're all shocked that it didn't but what can I say?  It seemed to be going well, but when I was using that glass today, the stem just fell off. I wasn't touching it, it didn't bump anything, it just fell off.

Okay, I think that's it for now.  I'm going to go to Adoration.  I tried to go earlier today, but it didn't work out because there was something going on at the church.  But it's okay, I'll go now.  And that means that I'll be praying for you! See, I'll just pray for anyone who is reading or will read this post and for whatever intentions are near and dear to their heart as they read.  Like how that works? ;)

I hope your Sunday was beautiful and that you have a wonderful week!

7 comments:

  1. I love how that prayer thing works!! I loved your snow angel when I saw it on facebook earlier today, it made me a bit envious actually! Thanks for reading my series on the Saints, I am glad you are finding them helpful. I hope you have a good week! (P.S. Regarding your question about whether or not that woman ever joined the convent, I don't remember, but I will have to look at that letter again. I loved that book - seriously, one of the best books I have read in a long time, I highly recommend it.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Not because what we want is bad, but because Christ is worth infinitely more."

    Wow, just wow.

    Also, bummed for you about the superglue, though its dishwasher safe/nonsafe issues left me scratching my head. I'm glad that mountain air does you good! Love hearing about your hikes and adventures.

    -January

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I need to try some if that mountain air because the thought of snow makes me cringe...and I live in Michigan. Did you take pictures on your hike? You always post the mist beautiful pictures from your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got the same clarification about Poor in Spirit this weekend during the homily. We have both reached the same conclusion. :-) I'm so glad we do read every bit of the Bible over the course of a few years at mass, as every time I hear a reading, I learn a little more each time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that prayer thing!

    Who knew exercise and fresh air were such good things?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been struggling with how exactly to "be" Catholic day-to-day. You know, what do you do in between mass on Sunday, right? Reading about being "poor in spirit" really helped me wrap my mind around what exactly I'm supposed to be doing on a daily basis. "Choosing Christ, no matter what." Sounds simple enough! Haha.
    It's really hard to feel gloomy when you're outdoors. I love getting out for walks, even just around the block. I'm looking forward to doing some hiking over Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on being poor in spirit! I really like the fact that Christ is infinitely more than anything we can want on our own. I just always hope what Christ wants and what I want are the same things! Ha.
    Also, that mountain air sounds fantastic! Want to ship some to TX?? ;)

    ReplyDelete