Friday, October 12, 2012

7 Quick Takes- Mom Edition

7 quick takes sm1 7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 163)
In honor of my mom's birthday today, I wanted to do this one for her.  She does not read this blog-she'd love to, but she doesn't "do" the internet any more than she has to- so I'm sending her a letter.  Yep, a real postage and stamp and paper letter. But they'll say kind of the same things. I do not always agree with my mom, and sometimes I think she makes things harder than they have to be, but even some of the things that drive me crazy are some of the things that make her a great mom.  

1) Growing up, every single meal, we had to have a fruit and a vegetable. Back in the day that I was growing up, there was no internet to turn to for new recipes, so she often resorted to carrots and apples.  To this day, most of my siblings and I will not eat carrots, and apples are few and far between. But here's the thing.  When you have to eat carrots and apples with every meal (even if we were eating pizza!), you learn that it is important to try to eat healthy, or at least have some balance in your diet.

2) Some things don't change much, and I complained a lot growing up, just as I do now.  I can't tell you the number of times I heard "offer it up." (Or how many times I responded with an eye roll.)  And even though I didn't appreciate it in the least at the time, I think it helped me get started on the road to learning a little piece of redemptive suffering.  I obviously still don't get it too well, but what I do understand, it is so nice to be able to make any suffering, no matter how big or small, be something that can be used for the salvation of others!

3) My mom cannot sit still. She is incapable of it. If the TV is on, she'll join us after this, that, and the other job, but she would prefer to have something in her hands. But the good news is that she is always up for a walk or something to get outside and move. We learned that it is important to be active.

4) I never, ever have to wonder whether my mom cares.  Sometimes she wants to know everything and I don't want to tell her everything. Sometimes she wants to talk when I don't want to talk.  But it's because she cares.  I know that I always have someone to turn to and to go home to. I know I could disappoint her, but only if I was doing something harmful to myself or others, never by failing at something I tried.

5) I used to not like fall, and my mom always loved it.  I didn't understand, but now as I enjoy the change in season, I think of her when I crunch through the leaves.

6) My mom is a woman of faith.  And I will be forever grateful of how she passed that on to us.

7) To sum up, my mom is awesome.  Happy birthday, Mom!





Head over to Jen's for more Quick Takes!

8 comments:

  1. Teary eyed over here! Happy birthday to a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful list! I had the same apple-a-day mom, and I rarely eat apples, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great post! Happy birthday to your mama!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so awesome is so many ways! Laughed so hard about the apples and carrots...makes me want to meet her. I bet she's gonna love that letter :)


    P.S. every time your blog loads I sigh in wonder at your picture of the dunes. I just love it and it brightens my day every time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! Happy Birthday to your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She sounds awesome! Happy birthday to her!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so great! It's amazing the awesome stuff we can learn from our mothers (even things we used to get annoyed at them for doing, or making us do). I hope she had a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete