1) I was just eating pomegranate seeds while I waited for my spaghetti squash to cook. I think just writing that sentence made me healthier! You see, I like unprocessed foods, but I work long hours, and when I'm not working, I play long hours (what can I say, being single's not all bad!). Therefore, even though I try to get as natural foods as possible, I still eat a lot of stuff that comes in a box from the freezer. Today, however, is my day off (writing these on a Thursday) and I don't have too much going on, so I am actually cooking and I bought one pomegranate and one apple the other day. And a spaghetti squash. I found a recipe* for the squash that's kind of a spicy shrimp marinara with fresh mushrooms to go on top, so I'm pretty excited about that! My sauce will come from a jar, though, with some stuff added in. I wasn't feeling that ambitious. Plus, I have a jar of fantastic marinara sauce that I need to finish off. Ooh, and some shrimp in the freezer that needed a home. Win, win, win!
2) There is a little problem in my kitchen right now, besides a lazy cook. I have no light in there. Yep. The overhead light is not working. Now, the way it all went out at once (all two bulbs), I feel like there may be something more than just a light bulb fix needed. However, I can't call the landlord until I've at least tried changing the light bulbs. Only... They're the long fluorescent bulbs, and I can't figure out how to get them out. I've tried, but no luck! Yeah, I feel real smart. I can get a doctorate, but the light bulbs have me whipped.**
3) What's that? You have insomnia and you're still not asleep? I am here to serve at your pleasure. More tales of my domestic exploits coming your way!
Several weeks ago, I broke a wine glass, and I finally picked up some super glue to fix it. There are a huge variety of different kinds, but this one seemed like what I needed:
Look! They've got a picture of my problem; must be what I need.
Even better. Given that I wasn't even thinking about how well the thing would wash, it's good to know that it's dishwasher safe.
Or is it...
Seriously? How do you advertise "dishwasher safe" on the front, and tell you not to place it in the dishwasher on the back?
Also, reading below that immediately made me think of my worst fears with using super glue. If someone's going to get their fingers stuck, it'd be me. However, I will have you know that the stem is safely back on the glass and all fingers are freely moving to type. Another household crisis averted!
4) I've had another reminder this week that while you can have good friendships with people that have fundamentally different viewpoints than you, there is still a barrier there. This is why I continue to maintain that I would rather be single forever than in a marriage with this kind of barrier. In friendships, the barrier can be ignored for the most part, but it is there. Sometimes I wonder if these friends are aware of the barrier, but I feel it. There are certain parts of me that I cannot discuss with them. I suppose they may have certain things that they do not feel able to discuss with me, either. Anyway, friendships can survive the barrier, but never get quite as deep as they otherwise would. I don't want a marriage with that barrier. There was a situation that came up recently, and I don't think my friends began to understand at any level how I felt about it. They seemed to think they knew sort of what I thought, but there is so much that they do not know and would not understand about my reaction to the situation, even if I tried to tell them.
5) I suppose this is why I cannot wait to go visit some friends that do really know me. If they knew what the above situation was, they could understand exactly what I was trying to say if I explained how I felt about it. Only, I wouldn't have to explain what I thought, because they would already know. Though I do deeply care for my friends here, there is no comparison between the relationships here with the relationships all over with people that get me. I suppose that's why the blog community works out so well, too. Because you all would get it, too!
6) Awesome Quick Takes, eh? Three takes about my lame domestic skilz, and two about a vague situation that I can't explain. What can I say? I'm trying to help out the insomniacs!
7) How about a picture? You all seem to like those, and you deserve it if you've stuck around this long!
|Delicate Arch at sunset. There were hundreds of people up there. It was awesome!|
Head over to Jen's for more Quick Takes!
*It was pretty good. I'm not actually a huge fan of spaghetti squash, but the spicy went really well with it.
**Yep, really easy to get out. You just have to be smarter than it is. Now I feel even more silly for not figuring it out in the first place!