Thursday, September 27, 2012

Humanae Vitae, 18

This is a post regarding paragraph 18, not my 18th post on the encyclical. Are you surprised to see the return of the encyclical? I haven't had time to finish it, but I'll keep plugging away.  What's more, I plan to finish my little 2 cents about the Mass, too, even though it's been about a year since I posted on that. I just want to finish what I started.

This paragraph was interesting to read.

"It is to be anticipated that perhaps not everyone will easily accept this particular teaching." (Humanae Vitae, 18)

BWAHAHAHA! Ahem, I mean, very diplomatic of you, Your Holiness. Yeah, there are a lot of people that not only don't like this teaching. They hate it with the depths of their being.  Of course, give me the ones that passionately hate the teaching over the ones that are indifferent to it and decide that it doesn't matter what the Church says, they'll just do whatever they want anyway.

So many people are waiting for the Church to "change her mind" in this matter, and finally catch up with the times.  But what they do not understand is that the Church does not make up the rules.

"Since the Church did not make... these laws, she cannot be their arbiter- only their guardian and interpreter." (Ibid.)

What you need to understand is that the Church does not have the authority to change her mind. Like I've said before, the Church is interpreting natural law, not deciding it.  Like a scientist who can only observe and record the laws of gravity so that we can learn from them, the Church can only recognize and defend the natural laws. She is recognizing what is, not arbitrarily deciding what she thinks is right and wrong.

3 comments:

  1. Love your final paragraph! We (society in general) have moved so far from understanding that there is something greater than ourselves that we think we can change and control anything. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Very diplomatic of you, your Holiness." Hahahahaha, awesome line.

    ReplyDelete