Friday, August 31, 2012

7 Quick Takes Friday

7 quick takes sm1 7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 163)
1) I realized that I have a Big Important Lofty goal for the end of this year. Not really.  I have a goal, but it's not that important. I noticed that each year my total number of posts for the year declines.  To some extent, that's fine.  I posted too often at first.  But I'd like that to level out eventually.  So that is my goal. To have more posts in 2012 than in 2011.  I had 107 in 2011, so my goal for 2012 is 108. I know! It is a really big deal, and you're so glad that you got to read about it!  Lucky you.  In reality, I likely won't pay a lot of attention, except on days like today when I am trying to determine whether to Quick Take or not.  And then I have to fill them up with something, and now you have this riveting take that you have spent actual precious time out of your day reading. 

2) I'm sorry for #1. I promise I'll try to do better for the rest of these. As you can see, I've set the bar pretty low, so I think I should be able to meet that goal.  That's what life is about, you know. Setting substandard goals that a hunk of moldy cheese could accomplish with minimal effort.

3) My mom and I were playing phone tag this week. I get a text from my sister (because my mom refuses to text) telling me that Mom would like me to call because her shoulder is hurting. I hate over the phone PT, but what are you going to do? So I tried calling her at various points during the last several days. This is harder than it sounds, because I currently live and work in a dead zone for cell phone reception. I finally got a hold of her today, and she starts telling me about a few random things, and then stops herself so that she can ask me what I need and why I've been calling.  Umm, because you asked me to? 

4) I then got a reminder of how frustrating my job can be sometimes because people don't realize what I can do as a physical therapist. She did inform me that it was not her shoulder, but her elbow that was the problem, but since it was a tendon and not a muscle, there wasn't anything I could do about anyway. Are. You. Freaking. Kidding. Me!?!  I don't blame my mom.  I blame us as physical therapists. We are not getting the word out about what we do. Yes, I treat tendonitis! I would be one sucktastic therapist if I didn't know a lot of different tricks for tendonitis. I treat bones and muscles and joints and tendons (which connect muscles to the bones) and ligaments (which connect the bones at the joints) and cartilage and nerves and pretty much anything related to movement and pain in the limbs or spine.

5) I have laundry in the dryer I should go get it before it wrinkles.... Oops! Not living up to the second goal!  I hope that's not a foreshadowing of a mere 106 posts by January 1st.  I do have an old hunk of cheese in the fridge; maybe I should get it out and throw it at the keyboard.  It might win as a more interesting QT.

6) Please don't hate me for this take, but I have to say this. (Okay, not technically true, but I want to, so I will.) I got a massage today, and it was fantastic.  The thing is, I am far past wanting massages for mere relaxation. I want them for the wellness factor. Yes, it's expensive. No, I probably wouldn't get them as often if I didn't work in a place that gave me a 1/2 of discount. I also probably wouldn't get them if I weren't single and therefore have fewer expenses than some. But they are wonderful. I hurt so much less in my day to day life. I didn't really think I was hurting, but there are a lot of things that just get ignored. I don't ignore them anymore, now that I know what it feels like to be without them. (Also, have I ever discussed how massage reminds me of confession?)  I will say though, if you are considering spending the time and money, try to find a massage therapist and not a mere masseuse. I don't think there's technically a difference besides in my head. In my head, the first is the kind of person that will actually help you have health benefits; the second is the kind that works in a spa and will help you have a nice relaxing time with fewer long term results.

7) I can't remember what the last one was going to be, but I just glanced up at #5 and realized that I still need to take care of that situation. Have a great weekend and head over to Jen's for more Quick Takes (the kind that could go head to head in a writing competition with a chunk of cheese and actually win!)

5 comments:

  1. As the wife of a massage therapist - it is SO nice to read someone who gets and values a good, therapeutic massage! The Man's biggest pet peeve is when someone calls him a masseuse - makes me shudder to think of how fast his head spins around. And there is a difference - I should ask him to do a guest post on the subject :). But what you've got in your head is pretty close.

    Oh, you could always discover your long repressed passion for WVU Football and start blogging about the Mountaineers - I promise you'll hit 108 posts in the next 3 months, no problem :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to hear about how massage resembles confession! I am overdue for both.

    And, while I quite enjoy all kinds of cheese, I do think I prefer your posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck reaching your goal ~ and educating your friends and family what you do!!

    I too have a blog goal (100) and can so relate to the second ~ less so now that I'm teaching nursing students but while I was working as a midwife it felt like I was forever, even to family members, explaining what I did and was trained/licensed to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You crack me up! And you should totally get all the massages you want! It's sooooo good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the massages! That reminds me ... I have a certificate to claim ... soon! :-)

    ReplyDelete