Thursday, June 14, 2012

On Commenting

I know I've commented on most (if not all) of this before at least once (and maybe more). But, hey, repetitious repetition is what keeps you coming back, right? Hello? ... Anyone?

As I am coming off a very brief and unintentional blog break, I suddenly find myself thinking about comments again, specifically making comments on other peoples' posts.  I like to comment, but I often find myself saying something really, really LAME. And short.  And I try not to read other peoples' much more awesome and longer and well thought out and funny and insightful comments.  I might learn something, but then I'm often intimidated right out of leaving a comment at all. In fact, I have found myself leaving fewer and lame-er comments than usual. Also good for some brief angst is when and how to leave a comment on a new blog (or a blog that's not really that new, but I've been doing more lurking than commenting).  I mean, do you just jump right into the conversation like you've been there all along (even though, being the creepy lurker that you are, maybe you have been there all along) or do you introduce yourself? And what if they are the cool, popular bloggers and they don't really need another commenter/groupie/wannabe? Or there are already so many comments that why would they want one more? When I get past all my way weird over thinking, I tend to go for the awkward leap of just jumping in and landing in an awkward heap in the combox. Because that's much better than the awkward introduction, don'cha know?

Sidenote: I really don't know where people get the idea that all bloggers are socially awkward introverts.

Also, aren't you glad that a few days off gave me some time for some deep, deep thought?

Anyway, I decided that when it comes right down to it, all I can do about comments is to keep commenting.  At least if I do, you know I'm reading and that I care (because I am, and I do).  And that's the important part, not as much that it's short or not very edifying (at least I hope that's the important part). When I really got to thinking about it, I have never not loved getting a comment from a new-to-me reader. I have never read a short comment and thought, "How lame, why'd they bother commenting?" And never, ever have I gotten one too many comments (quantitatively speaking... qualitatively is another story, but not from anyone that's actually reading this post!) I love "meeting" new people, and any comment, no matter how short makes me happy. And so I will go on commenting like I like it when people comment.

But, really? How can someone go on this long about nothing (and for probably at least the second time) and still not come up with a little more of something to say to awesome posts other people write, or ones that make me laugh, or the ones that touch my heart? Ah, well. It's going to take me more than a few days off to come up with the answer to this and other, just as thorny, questions in life.

12 comments:

  1. I so could have written this. (Sometimes I wonder if people think I am a robot b/c my comments all start to sound the same - ha!)

    As to the lurking-for-a-long-time-no-commenting usually I just say something like "long-time lurker, first-time commenter". I think this is somewhat selfish because I do love it when someone new comments on my blog.

    As to how big, famous bloggers feel? No idea, I'm a happy peon-blogger :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I'm right there with you! I sometimes feel silly when I'm just leaving a "Me too!" or "Love it!" comment, but like you said, I assume people would rather have that than nothing - I do! And I'm so glad I'm not the only one who's intimidated when other people leave fantastic comments and I feel like mine isn't even worth writing once I've read theirs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so sweet! I love getting comments (especially yours because I actually have met you in person so I feel like I can put not just a screen name, but a face and a voice behind the comment). My only regret when I get comments from people is that I wish I was better about commenting on their blogs and that has been on my mind lately. I have just been so down myself about things with my job and other extended family stressors (that I can't write about on the blog), that I don't sometimes even know what to say on other people's blogs because I am so caught up in my own craziness and don't want things to come out sideways on others blogs. I know that is selfish on my part, so thank you for this great post and I am just going to get over my slump and start commenting more - like now! Hee, hee.... So, if you didn't get it already, thanks for commenting and blogging, I LOVE reading both!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so cute. and funny. :)

    I find myself so crazy busy that I read a post and then because my head is full of so much stuff, I can't think of anything to write in a comment so I think I will come back later. And well.....

    Thank you for reading and commenting though! You are a good example for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I sooooo could have written this post myself. I especially know how you feel when other people leave awesome long thoughtful comments and my comments are like, "Great post!" Yaaaaaawn! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could have written this post too (although not as well!). HA! Anyway- all I seem to say is "I'm praying for you." I rarely give advice although I like getting it from commenters. Also, I usually have to come back to a post to comment. I read it. Leave. Wait. Then on my next tour around the internet a few hours later (or a few days later), I comment. I like to reflect even if in that reflection all i can say is "i'm praying for you." Anyway, that's why I'm rarely the first to comment on anyone's post! It's all very humbling isn't it? okay, I have to say it, "You are in my prayers!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked this post too ... especially since I often write out my comments, then wonder if they really say what I want them to say, then I delete and begin again ... repeat .... repeat ...and sometimes I just delete it all because none of it seems to come out right.

    I'm hitting publish before I have a chance to think too much now ....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I realize I am not the best "commenter." Thank you for this post because it has inspired me to comment more! By the way, I love when you leave comments on my blog. Comments make me smile. And when I post on my blog it is because the introvert in me is feeling a need to "be social" so the comments further that "socialization." Does that make sense? Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! As a long-time-lurker who has never (?) left a comment, I guess today is as good as any time to start! Well, I am a regular reader who stops by several times a week because I enjoy both your style of writing, your choice of themes (is that understandable?? English is my second foreign language and sometimes I just translate expressions from other languages that do not make much sense in English..) and your pictures! Thank you very much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous- Love that you commented! :) And your comment makes complete sense. I'm impressed with your language skills; I would have loved to have spent more time studying languages!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Also de-lurking to say hi and tell you how much I love your blog! I stumbled across it a month or two ago, and it's delightful and honest. I've never been much of a big commenter because I rarely think I have much of interest to add, but I always enjoy reading what you have to say. So, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could have written this post too! (see ... lame comment! :-) lol)
    You describe exactly my thought process in going through what I want to say. And yes, sometimes I delete the whole darn thing and go with MFAW's saying of "just praying for you," which cannot be misconstrued.
    Like you, I love all comments, no matter how big, small or profound. :-)

    ReplyDelete