Wednesday, June 20, 2012

And So It Begins...

I have not been reading what other viewpoints have to say, but I'm guessing they are thinking that Catholics are C to the R to the Azy. Not all Catholics, of course. Just the ones that are too busy blindly following those old stuck-in-the-mud celibate men to stand up for themselves and get things done. Some of those more progressive Catholics are okay, but the ones that toe the party line on something silly like contraception? Nut jobs.

And now the crazies are going to jump up on their high horse and lifted their wounded, martyr cries for religious freedom, when they should just settle down and worry about more important things in life instead of wasting 2 weeks fasting and praying and generally acting out to try to not have to do something minor like pay for contraception with insurance.  It's not like they actually have to use it, so what's the big honking deal?

I know not many people understand the Catholic objection to contraception. That's okay, you don't have to. The point is that we have strong objections to it that go beyond what you might think is the issue (most people think it's because the celibate priests just want there to be more Catholics born... here's a hint: that is NOT why we object.) Living in this country, we feel that we should not be forced to follow a law that violates our beliefs.



Quick review of why we think this:


Amendment I

Freedoms, Petitions, Assembly
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
_________________________________________________________


I'm not saying that all my blogging will be about this in the next couple of weeks, though I do have a few things that I want to address.  However, whatever else I have to add (and, not going to lie, not sure what I can add to the discussion that my fellow lunatics- aka orthodox Catholics- have not already said), this is what is really important. By forcing me to help pay for something that I deeply believe is morally wrong, you are smashing away my right to free exercise of religion.  Whether or not you think I'm crazy on the contraception issue, this should be a problem for you. 

Because your rights might be the next ones that get stomped.

4 comments:

  1. yes! it is really sad that we have to even fight over this. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said!!!!

    I'll take my crazy card please ;).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed! I don't mind being considered crazy, though I wish sometimes people would take the time to try to understand our viewpoint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. People can always "see" things from the liberal point of view and follow the masses. You are right ... our First Amendment rights are being trampled.

    ReplyDelete