Saturday, May 19, 2012

My New Church

I think I have a new church. I know I've already talked about it, and those of you who know me, know that I've really already made up my mind to go there. But I say "I think" because I feel like a visitor.  I'm hoping after Pentecost when I actually fill out the parish registration and turn it in that I will start to feel like I belong.

I still don't know if this is the kind of church that will allow me to feel a part of the local Catholic community or not, but that is my greatest hope.  The fact that I will be officially registered should help. I think the fact that I have a high standard is causing me problems. There is no church that I have found here that is quite like the church that I went to in the Midwest.

However, I have now been to Adoration twice in the last couple of weeks.  I'm sold on that fact alone. I can't even tell you how great it feels to simply sit in His presence. I wonder how in the heck I've been living for the last 2 years without it. I haven't had as much time to comment or reply to comments recently, but know that I am praying for you, and I am praying for you when I am there with Him.

There are currently 3,100 pink and blue crosses along the highway in front of the church.  Yes, it is for the 3,100 deaths from abortion daily.  It is partly for the visual (and let me tell you, saying the number is much less of an impact than seeing the number), but what the priest told us that he really wants as he leaves the crosses up between Mother's Day and Father's Day is prayers for healing for those who have been affected by abortion. He encouraged us to bring flowers, etc. and to pray for healing.

Beyond that, it's in a beautiful setting, though it's a little dark for you to see much of the actual church.

So, yeah. That's the deal.

5 comments:

  1. Yay for a new church! I'm STILL looking for one that works for me.

    But oh, that number breaks my heart. All those babies. How is this even possible?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every October, we have our "Valley of Tears" in which we have a large number of crosses placed in a little valley area as you pull into our parking lot for the remembrance of lives lost to abortion. I can't imagine fitting 3100 in there, but I should find out if we could do that. The visual is more than a lot unsettling.

    Glad you think you have found a parish to call home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It feels so nice to register at a parish! I hope this will truly be home for you. And yes, Adoration is amazing. So peaceful! I know there are some churches without an Adoration Chapel, so I'm glad your new church has one!
    The sight of the 3,100 crosses ... wow ... what an impact! I can't even imagine what that looks like. It hits home when you actually put a place marker for each child rather than just say a number. No comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sad but awesome that your church is doing that for all those hurt by abortion. I hope it sticks with people.

    I feel like we've been in parish 'transit' for years. I'm still wondering where we're going to be spending most of our (kids included) formative years as Catholics. The place we just moved to seems okay, but not interested in being that devout, if you know what I mean. I just miss having a REAL community that I can relate to. I hope the past few Sundays have gone well for you and will be praying that this parish can provide you that true feeling of community!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you've found a "home" with this parish! I'm currently on the adoration schedule, but am going to have to give it up since I'll be at a different school next year, and there's no way I can make that time.

    ReplyDelete