Thursday, May 24, 2012

7 Quick Takes Friday

7 quick takes sm1 7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 163)
1) It's Thursday night. I need to go to bed, but I really wanted to pound out a few Quick Takes first.

2) It was just over a year ago that I started climbing; this last weekend, I got to help the new crop of students start learning to climb.  So much fun for the most part.  There were some interesting moments with a couple of interesting people, but unfortunately, we're going to have to leave it at that.  

3) It still is mind blowing to me, though, to look at where these students are now and realize that was me only a year ago.  I remember being like that, I just can't believe how much better I can climb now!

4) Today I got out to climb with some of the students from this year, as well as a lot of the instructors from the class. One of the guys that was out there was extremely knowledgeable, and he's a very good teacher. He wanted to find a different- harder- climb away from where most of the people were climbing.  He asked if I wanted to go with him (as someone that's still very much a student, but not a beginning student). Part of me wanted to stay and socialize, but he's the kind of person that you want very much to learn from.  So, I gave the only proper answer. "Yes, please." And I learned stuff, so you see I made the right decision.

5) However, this other climb was not exactly a picnic to get to.  We start up one slope, and he starts to tell me that in the morning, this is where rattlesnakes like to hang out. Awesome.  Thank goodness it's evening. Then I hear, "Oh, there's some poison ivy." He wasn't lying.  It was everywhere, but I think I may have avoided it.  I'll soon know for sure! Then, "Look out for the thorns on that bush." Fan-flipping-tastic. Where on earth were we going to end up?  But it was good. He doesn't climb with us too often, so I'm glad I got a chance to pick up a few pointers, despite the fact that it was an adventure just to get to the climb.

6) I got my mom's Mother's Day present in the mail yesterday.  I'll see her this weekend, so I'll be able to give it to her.  Yeah, I'm really on the ball.

7) Still loving Adoration. I almost didn't make it this week, but I'm so glad I did.  


I'm off for a shower and then to bed; have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Amen to loving Adoration!

    Fyi: Rattlesnakes are the meanest species I've ever met...glad you didn't run into one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you didn't get poison ivy!
    Your climbing partner sounds like a great challenge to be with! He's into extreme climbing?!?!? Right? :-)

    ReplyDelete