Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Awkward

A former patient came in today, determined to see me.  She's a sweetheart in general, but today was just awkward.  Like the way that she announced- several times- that I was "wasting away".  It would have been one thing if she was joking, but it's a whole different thing when she announces it in a slightly alarmed voice like she thinks I might need an intervention sometime soon.  And she says this loudly in the waiting area.  Ah, thank you.  Please use your indoor voice for making awkward statements next time.

It's amazing how- even though I completely disagree with her assessment- hearing her say it several times in that tone made me feel like I needed to find the nearest fainting couch and dig out my smelling salts. And consider counseling. Seriously!  I'm very happy with how I look and feel since I've moved out here, and I am certainly not trying to lose weight.  (Which is good, because judging by the pile of chocolate wrappers beside me, that's not going to happen. Love Dove dark chocolate with almonds!) But I am NOT wasting away.  My current BMI is 24.2, and healthy BMI is considered to be 18.5-24.9.  So, yeah. Not flirting with being underweight.  I actually found out that women consider the ideal weight for my height to be 15 pounds less than I weigh right now.  I disagree. My ideal weight is about right where I am.

Sorry, you didn't need to hear all that!  I'm more justifying to her, which is ridiculous since she doesn't read this blog. But the awkwardness continues!

The real reason she came today? Because someone she knows- who is probably a very nice guy- just broke up with his live in girlfriend of 2.5 years, and she wanted to know if I wanted his number.  Let me see... Umm, no?  What on earth made you think that I would like to volunteer as the role of the rebound?!  I told her that I wasn't interested until he'd had a chance to get over her. So she says she'll check back in a month and a half.  Really? Six weeks is all the more time that bought me?  C'mon, I should've at least had 3 months from that! And ideally by then he would have found someone else.  (Or I would have, but that seems unlikely projecting from past experience.) At the very least, it is to be hoped that he will have some sort of living arrangement then since he was living with this woman.

But here's the real issue.  People want to set me up with guys, admittedly good guys, but guys that do not know or have any interest in faith. I can't connect with them in a deeper way, because what I find most important in life is not on their radar screen.

Oh, well.  Such is life.  At least she's trying to be nice by thinking of me when she comes across a nice available guy!

12 comments:

  1. Oh man. I completely understand your feelings on this one. People try so hard to help, and sometimes it is the exact opposite of what you really need. I totally agree about the faith. No matter how great a person seems, if they don't have an interest in growing in faith together with you, its just not a good fit.

    Like I have said before you always write your feelings so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Gotta love little old ladies (I m realizing that you never said she was old, but that's how I pictured her because she has no filter :)).

    All I can say is that I hope this post is someone related to a 'remember when I said...' type of awesome post in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Gotta love little old ladies (I m realizing that you never said she was old, but that's how I pictured her because she has no filter :)).

    All I can say is that I hope this post is someone related to a 'remember when I said...' type of awesome post in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh!!! Some people!! There's a simple solution to all this...people need to THINK before they speak. I'm sure her intentions were well enough but I agree, that guy needs way more time before jumping into anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that IS awkward! Good intentions can make people act worse than bad ones, sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of those situations where I feel like even if they don't share your religious values, they could still use common sense?

    And it is great that you are healthy and happy with being healthy! It is more than twisted that we have such skewed versions of the ideal woman that no matter what size you are someone will think you need to change.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are such a good sport! That had to be nuts, sorry it happened. The great thing about people wanting to set you up with someone they care about has to be that they already admire you and what true beauty is in your mere presence and they want to share that beauty with others but only you can do that and choose when and with whom to do that! Prayers for you sweet friend!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear... I don't know which is more annoying, the comments about your weight or the trying to set you up with someone who so recently ended a relationship! (Especially someone who doesn't sound like a good fit for your anyways.) And while I don't regret my mixed marriage, it can get kind of lonely sometimes - try to find a Catholic man!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, gotta love those awkward moments!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my. Awkward moments are always loud, aren't they. I hate them.
    For one, why do people feel like they can talk to skinny people about weight, but not fat people? Not that anyone should be talking, but ... Come on ... You are not "wasting away." You look healthy to me!
    And I agree ... stay FAR away from this guy ... Don't change your morals for a guy, just trust that God will send you the guy who will match up with you perfectly in all things.
    Tomorrow has got to be better, right? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I call them the clucking hens. Although, for some reason, old men are just as bad as older women. Take it as a compliment, right?

    At a staff meeting a few weeks ago, a teacher who is retiring this year was appearing to take notes. She leans over to show me her memo: "How's your love life?" AT WORK! My word! Lol, always a new story. Better than creepy guys following you around too close at the grocery store. haha!

    ReplyDelete