Sunday, April 1, 2012

Another Post of Bits and Pieces


  • I cannot seem to get caught up from my trip! I have so many posts that I would like to write, but there is no time.  And I haven't even commented on others' posts like I'd like to either.  I'm still reading and I'll get better at it soon.
  • But not this week.  I'm not sure what the deal is, but I seem to not be doing so well on the whole Lent thing.  But as Jen is so good to remind us, it's not over yet.  There's still Holy Week.  I think I need to put the computer down and back away slowly. I might even try the whole light thing she mentions. I've never done anything like that, but it sounds interesting.
  • I do have one post that I may try to write quick before Sunday's over, to schedule later in the week, but we'll see how far I get.
  • Speaking of posts I want to write, I actually logged into to fb today and I saw that one of my young cousins had written this utter nonsense on their wall: "Truth is only a matter of perspective."  Thankfully another of my cousins called him on it, and explained objective truth quite well, mentioning, among other things, that it is objectively wrong to kill someone. Cousin #1 first responded with agreement, then followed up with: "but also, some people find a logical explaination to kill someone, and therefore they find it a truth that killing is not bad" Argh! I hate all forms of relativism because it leads to this kind of nonsense! Just because some person finds what they think is a logical reason to kill someone, it is still a truth that it is not okay to follow up on that!
  • I found another person for a role model of who I want to be when I grow up.  I do not know how old this man is, but he has been retired for 10 years, and he has white hair. Maybe somewhere between 65-75? He was on the hike that I did yesterday.  He totally kicked my butt, and most everyone else's on the trip (and there were 11 of us).  At the end, he called it a "moderate" hike. Ten miles and 3,000 foot gain in elevation, and he calls it moderate. I guess for him it is. He's training to climb the highest peak in South America this winter which is 20,000 some feet in elevation, and they will be carrying 70 pound loads between camps.  I don't want to be as extreme as he is, but I definitely love the idea of my age not being a limiting factor for whatever it is I want to do!
  • So I've lost a couple of pounds, which I'm not really trying to do right now, but it just happened.  You know what I think did it? I've been walking to work.  It's flat and takes 10 min, so I don't feel like I'm doing anything, but I guess it's affecting things.
  • The Jayhawks are in the championship!!  YES!!!!

4 comments:

  1. I love meeting inspiring people in that age category! Being in a sport really connects you to interesting people doesn't it? I found that walking 15-20 minutes a day does take off a few pounds!! So cool that you can walk to work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the new hike and weight loss! Yeah! FYI: I agree powering down is probably a good idea this week, but if you do get around to it, I'd love to read your Holy Week post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Relativism...ugh. Seriously? I am glad someone called him on that statement. I am with you on hoping I can get back into the rhythm of Lent...it has been a bit crazy and unreflective - if you get my drift. Anyway, there are still a few days left and thankfully there are a lot of extra graces this week available for the asking. I hope you have a blessed and rejuvenating Holy Week! Good luck Jayhawks! I don't really care who wins, but I will root for your team!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That guy must be in really good shape to call that hike "moderate." it's got to be great to look at things from his perspective ... Age is just a number. :-)

    ReplyDelete