Friday, April 13, 2012

7 Quick Takes Friday

7 quick takes sm1 7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 163)
1) I'm feeling a little out of sorts tonight, and I don't know why.  The good news is, it's raining right now and it sounds lovely and we badly need it.  And I'm tired, so maybe I should just go to bed.  It's the best place to be when it's rainy and you don't quite know what to do with yourself.

2) I was thinking about starting a picture blog, a private blog where I could actually post pictures of actual people.  I can't decide, though.  I might be too lazy for such a thing.  Also- inevitably- most of them would have me in them, and that's just a little weird. 

3) This blog is making me a little antsy.  I guess I didn't realize just how long I've been blogging.  And I feel like I just keep talking about the same things over and over again!  It makes me want to go through and delete extensively.  Again, the laziness issue will interfere with that plan. And maybe it's just because of the whole out of sorts thing.  SO glad I didn't know when I started that I'd still be blogging about the singleness thing for this long.

4) I got smoked out of Easter Vigil this year.  That has never happened to me before. I think we all can get a little affected by too much incense, but this was bad.  I was sitting close to the front because of the whole RCIA thing, and I'd been out all day, so maybe I was dehydrated or my electrolyte balance was off.  Who knows.  All I know is at the sign of peace, I slipped out the side door for fresh air.  Unfortunately the fresh air was cold enough to give me a ridiculous chill, so I went home.  It took me a good hour to get warmed up.

5) God bless our choir for working so hard to do a good job, but I really wish they didn't have such poor taste in music. Cheesy, show tune-y guitar flavored nastiness with clapping is not new and hip and engaging!* It's always been tired and blah, and now it's way old and behind the times.  Let's have some solemnity with the Vigil Mass! But seriously, the choir (all middle aged to older) really did work hard and were trying to make it beautiful.  We just have WAY different taste in beautiful.  I may not be able to go to another Easter Vigil at that church, which will be awkward if I keep helping out with the RCIA.

6) Which is not to say clapping or guitars (especially guitars) are cheesy or nasty in and of themselves.  But there is a lot of music involving them that is, and it doesn't belong in any Mass, and especially not Easter Vigil.

7) Head over to Jen's for more and have a fantastic weekend!

6 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you're in a funk, my friend. And I'm really sorry about your Vigil mass! Maybe you could go somewhere special to celebrate Divine Mercy Sunday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paha. I've been to those Masses...the ones with Peter, Paul, and Mary. Ha!

    Your new blog title picture is GORGEOUS!

    I'm certainly someone who can identify with the angst you mention. Gah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One year I was in the choir for Christmas midnight Mass, and the incense made me very ill. I kept sneaking out of the church from behind the organ between songs. Ugh, too much incense is just...too much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy some "folky" kind of music at mass, but the Easter Vigil (as well as Midnight Mass, or any of the Christmas Masses)should be solemn and tradition, imho!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I fainted once when I was younger after too much incense. It made that Mass entertaining for the rest in attendance :-)
    I know what you mean about clapping and crazy music for church. That stuff irritates me too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Takes 5 and 6 - I so agree! It seems that whenever you get a Baby Boomer in charge of church music you get cheesy, lame music that's a Baby Boomer's idea of cool. Meanwhile, younger people who like traditional music couldn't be more turned off...

    ReplyDelete